New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just when you think its safe---
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just when you think its safe?? You send a reamer out for a little TLC and WHAMMO!! Three jobs come in like wildfire for that reamer. Heck,I`ll have to order a new one anyway now. 416 Express isn`t going to be a El-Cheapo either.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
You KNOW that's how it's gonna go. But... I'm guessing from your call-sign that this is not an unfamiliar turn of events? Smiler

Good luck..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long can it take to work over a reamer? Just about any good tool and die shop should be able to do what you need.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to Dave Kiff at PTG, he doesn't charge extra for wildcats.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm, do you sharpen your own reamers? If so, what kind of jig do you use?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
Malm, do you sharpen your own reamers? If so, what kind of jig do you use?

I have a local machine tool grinder do all my stuff. I provide him the reamer and my drawing and he does the rest. These people are very good at what they do and it leaves my hands free to build and repair guns. FWIW, I would suggest to anyone who could regularly use ones services, to become friends with such a business. If you are lucky, some may even trade services... thumb

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm, thanks for the reply. I was mainly interested in what kind of tooling and machinery they use to sharpen reamers. I'm familiar with how a reamer is made but I was curious about how to safely sharpen one without altering the dimensions too much.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Jim, Malm,Eddie,
I used to do my own in Hawaii. Having put in a few golf courses I was familar with the sharpening of the greens mowers which are front throw and reverse cut. I made a cute little device to turn the reamers backward and lightly hone them on the cutting edge. It worked well enough but got swiped in my move to Ore. I had a friend at a place in the area [Coos Bay] who worked making reamers and sharpened mine but he made more money caddying at a new golf course than he did as a machinest he quit. I was going to try a place in the bay but changed my mind when I went in and saw him drop his micrometer and ust pick it up and use ir. He went to the crapper and I looked at the mic and it was about .007 off. GoodBye. I have gotten good results with Kiff so that is where I most likely will go. My old reamer is a Manson and a beauty. I`ll keep using it as long as it stays sharp and within tolerances. I`d like to use Hendricksen [sp] but Hugh seems to always be 10-14 weeks out. Boy does he make a sweet reamer though!! Oh Well!! It`ll get done.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote