Notify
Tools

Expectation for S&W Revolver Gunsmithing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
Howdy,

Having been less than satisfied with the action on my new-production S&W revolvers, I'm interested in sending them to a gunsmith for an action job and other honing. I'm pretty satisfied with the single action trigger pull, but the DA pull is pretty awful. It's heavy, non-linear, and uneven. I have older Smiths and a Python that embarrass the new ones. I don't want to part with the revolvers, so I'd like to see what's out there for modifications.

Does anyone have any experience with current gunsmiths and what can be expected of tuning these guns? Any gunsmith recommendations? I did a quick search and Ten Ring Precision out of San Antonio, TX keeps coming up as well-regarded. I'm also searching my local area here in PA to see if there's someone who has experience working on these guns.

Thoughts & comments?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, first off, if the guns are new I'd contact S&W and tell them how disappointed you are with the DA trigger pulls compared to their previous offerings. Perhaps they would offer to have them returned for factory tuning free of charge. If not, they may do it for a nominal fee. That would not void your warranties as would a 3rd party alteration.

quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
Howdy,

Having been less than satisfied with the action on my new-production S&W revolvers, I'm interested in sending them to a gunsmith for an action job and other honing. I'm pretty satisfied with the single action trigger pull, but the DA pull is pretty awful. It's heavy, non-linear, and uneven. I have older Smiths and a Python that embarrass the new ones. I don't want to part with the revolvers, so I'd like to see what's out there for modifications.

Does anyone have any experience with current gunsmiths and what can be expected of tuning these guns? Any gunsmith recommendations? I did a quick search and Ten Ring Precision out of San Antonio, TX keeps coming up as well-regarded. I'm also searching my local area here in PA to see if there's someone who has experience working on these guns.

Thoughts & comments?

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
SW does offer and action job through the performance center. My understanding is that they do a good job there. I am fortunate in that I managed to get a 25-2,27 and 29 done by a gunsmith in my area who was a whiz. Sadly, he has passed on. My guns are all pinned and recessed,so, I am guessing I had them done in late 70's or early 80's. They will last well into my childrens lifetimes.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the S & W Performance Center do action jobs on my 629 and 686+. I'm pleased with their work.

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the performance center do a action job on a 3913.

For a double single action semi-auto it is a great trigger.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Interesting! I had considered the Performance Center for the action work, but had dismissed it as a bit of a gimmick as compared to other gunsmiths. Good to know that's a viable option. I'm sure the turnaround time is a helluva lot faster than your average gunsmith, too. I'll take a look at their offerings today.

Bobster, I hear you. We'll probably never see the days of '50's and '60's production revolvers again, but I'm acquiesced to that fact. I got very favorable pricing on some of my guns, so a little extra $$ for some hand tuning is well within reason.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ten Ring is about 30 miles from my home in Texas. I have used him and his work is great and timely. A neat guy to BS with as well. He is old but his craft is keeping him young.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote