Find
Notify
Tools

Rusty Rasp, is it toast?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I left my Nicholson #50 on the deck and it got wet and rusted. I caught it the next day so it isn't heavy rust. I gave it a squirt of oil and may try some rsut remover of some sort. It seems to still cut but I'm wondering how and if the rust affects the cutting edges.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One month of rust maybe.

One day? Nah.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the same thing happen. It doesn't do them any good, that's for sure. I just use a wire wheel to knock the rust out, works well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Just boil it and turn it black Cool.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a file card on it. Not a wire wheel.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, after cleaning off the rust, an acid bath will bring the edges back to sharp.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll clean it up. I went to Brownells and about spilt my soda when I saw their prices. They list it at $54. I went to the Ace Hardware where I bought and they didn't stock it. The last one I bought there and it was about half the cost. I do see Midway sells it for about $35, quite a difference.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dempsey

Wasn't it an old machinist's trick that when a file got dull they would dip it in salt water and set it aside to rust? The rust ate away at the metal and made the teeth sorta raspy like. I'd say, clean it up a little and if it cuts, use it. I agree with Doug. Don't wire wheel it. that will only tend to smooth up the teeth. JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These guys will resharpen. They also carry the pattern maker's rasps.

http://www.boggstool.com/

I got mine from them and they come sharpened. They cut better than the factory rasp.

Your mileage may vary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Walmart and buy some "Wire Wheel Acid". Spray it on and wash it and the rust right off........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Poleax,

Any idea what they want for a Nicholson 49?

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are in the market for a new rasp you should also check out the Auriou Rasp's:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mv...op&Category_Code=TAU

Woodcraft carries them also.

They come in a lot more variations than Nicholson now makes. You can get different sizes as well as different "Grain" or coarseness of teeth. They are a little spendy but you'll like them if you try them. My freinds who've tried them have bought some for themselves......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dempsey:

Remove the rust electronicly or chemically. You will be surprised how new it can look again. There are a couple of websites dedicated to these processes. Look under home shop machinest or practical machines web sites.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I bought both rasps. They were just a bit more than Midway charges but I detest doing business with Midway so I thought it was money well spent. And they seem to cut better than my buddies "unsharpend" rasps. Sorry but it was a few years ago and I can't remember the exact price. But, they were fast, friendly, and reasonable.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I have to go to town tomorrow and I'll pick up some of the acid dj suggested. I might try another coarser rasp as well for initial wood removal. How much faster does a 49 cut? I also picked up a belt sander after the forend thread. Power tools on stocks scare me but I think even I can avoid disaster with this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try CLR for cleaning rust from drains.Just let it soak and wash it of. It works real well for taking rust off. I would also try some WD-40 and a toothbrush. Degrease with some gun scrubber before you use it.