New
Find
Notify
Tools

$$$ for your old barrel???
 Login/Join

<BCSteve>
posted
I've never gone the custom way. If you get a rifle rebarelled, does the gunsmith give you anything for the old barrel??

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
not usually, and not very much.... they sell those things 5 or 6 per $100

jeffe

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll be lucky if he doesn't charge you to dispose of the darn thing.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Steve, if the barrel is a take-off from a new or slightly used rifle, just have him return it to you. You can sell it and offset the cost of your re-barreling job by a bit.

If the barrel is shot-out piece of crap, just forget about it.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They make good fire pokers, but I misplaced my 8mm barrel I use for the barbeque, wonder where it got to. time to rebarrel another rifle! :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did just what GeorgeS suggested. The barrel brought about $40 on ebay, because it was a fairly desirable type, and in good condition. Unless it is really something special, people are going to weigh it against something like a new Adams and Bennett, which is $105 at Midway.

There is a guy that occasionally shows up at our local gun shows with nice take-off barrels, usually unfired. They run $25 to $45.

I have a lovely Turkish Mauser barrel that I'd like to offer.... (Probably best used as a tomato stake.)

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve

My thoughts, that depends:

To the gunsmith in a high volume money making business, they may be a disposal problem, and you will be lucky to have them take it.

Go to the small shop or part time guy, he might give you something if the barrel is for a common receiver and the bore in good shape. You would be surprised at the number of perfect bores that are changed because some guy can't get the rifle to shoot or just wants a different caliber. Most of the rifles my relatives hunt with are barreled with surplus military or take off barrels. Perfect for hunting accuracy. You may have to cut back and rechambered because of a bit of throat erosion, and sometimes turn down and clean up the contour and recrown, good way to sharpen up the machining skills.

Those with bad bores are perfect for the hobbiest who has more time than money. The stubs make great handles for working receivers. Just mill some flats on the barrel shank and you can hold a receiver in any position in the vise. I have a set of barrel stubs fitted with brass pistons (aka empty cases)for lapping lugs. If you do other lathe work, the steel is great for making bushings, washers and all manner of small round parts.

You could do as suggested and sell it. I guess you could sell most anything on ebay, usually at an inflated price. What I see is a usually unknown quality going for high price. I spend my time on other things.

It must be my age, but I can't throw anything away. It seems as soon as I do, I find a project or need for it. My wife and kids tell me their inheritance will go for tipping fees at the landfill! (but that won't be my problem).

Roger

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It depends, My smith is buddies with a Springfield collector, so he's installing my new bbl for the old one plus $20.00.

My old 8mm bbl, I was hoping he wasnt goinig to make me take it home, I think he shortened it and is using it as a splint on his bad leg.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote