New
Find
Notify
Tools

WANTED: Hydraulic dent raiser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have one of those english style hydraulic dent raiser tools for a 12 gage shotgun barrel??? Buddy of mine had a mishap with his over/under and an automatic thrower, has a dent in the bottom of the lower barrel.

Easiest would be to have him ship the barrels to you.

Thanks

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Contact Brownells for information for a smith near you that can do repairs !They sell that tool .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and have done plenty of them. JRH Advanced Gunsmithing. Ask for Jack or Shawn. 530-268-6877. A single dent uasualy runs about $65, multiples in the same tube $85 on up.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SWD,
Thanks, I'll pass along your info and you should expect a call from him.

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, those hydraulic dent raisers are a solution in search of a problem. I've made my own, using an inclined plane and threaded rod. You can "feel" the resistance...the dent has to be raised just a LITTLE more than flush (spring back).....This idea is not mine....came from shotgun guru Bill Nittler

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, I do believe I got some of those from Maurice, in all calibers but 12 ga but I have one of the hydraulice ones, also in 20 gauge. Thanks for letting the light bulb turn on regarding those gizmos I have been wondering about for so long.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Duane/Chick, would it be possible to see a picture of the device you describe? It sounds simple and convenient.

I also have one of the hydraulic dent pushers in 20 gauge that I use on other gauges with a set of bushings that came with it. See, it was loaned to me by a fellow who makes custom rifles and he asked me to borrow it "for a very long time". I've used it twice and now I think I know why he said that.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this is a pretty good friend of mine, and I have the tools to do it, I was pondering some sort of a screw/wedge tool I could fabricate to do the job for him. I'd be real interested in seeing a picture of your tool also. It'd be another little project to hone my machining skills.

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK...I'll take some pic's...You're gonna be disappointed in the level of sophistication, but I've used it for about 30 years.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This hand made dent raiser has served me well or about 30 yrs...It's small enough for a 20 gauge and works well for 12 ga. The "body" is 1/2 electrical conduit, the seam aligns with the "raising button", sort of a sighting device. The perpendicular handle allows "ironing" of the dent. This is a very powerful tool and one must be careful not to make a bulge, but there is sensitive feel. In use, I clean the barrel well, and then grease the inside. Make sure the tool is very clean and the button well polished. When you get the light right, you can see the tool work out the dent.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Duane, for taking the time to post photos.

Looks like one could be built for less than $467.50 retail asking price of the hydraulic version, but then if you have to pay corporate lawyers, environmental engineers, marketing people, etc. I guess that would drive the price up a bit. Big Grin

Thanks again!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote