New
Find
Notify
Tools

recoil pad options
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm re-doing a pre-64 M70 stock with the steel buttplate to be hunted with. Would like something a little lighter in weight and softer on the shoulder.
Don't want to cut the stock so that rules out recoil pads. Wondering if anyone has ever used any other material for a DIY pad that is functional. Not necessary to look pretty. thanks guys.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
I'm re-doing a pre-64 M70 stock with the steel buttplate to be hunted with. Would like something a little lighter in weight and softer on the shoulder.
Don't want to cut the stock so that rules out recoil pads. Wondering if anyone has ever used any other material for a DIY pad that is functional. Not necessary to look pretty. thanks guys.

Shape and glue on some closed cell foam. Can get different colours so won't look out of place. Probably will wear a bit but cheap and easy to replace as required.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You can buy a lace-on or slip-on pad.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second the lace on pad. Those look nice to me.

Cheapest is a black flip flop cut to shape and glued on. Also weighs nothing. They work well on ultralight synthetic stocks for shaving ounces. Of course, if you feel eccentric, they come is all of the colors of the rainbow.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you are not overly concerned about appearance cork will work. You can glue layers with Barge Cement and shape with a file and coarse sandpaper.. I have a matched pair of Greener G 125's that have that treatment. The previous owner wanted to retain the buttplates with the Greener name. He glued the cork over the buttplates. Cork is very practical, although it will not win any beauty contest.

Posts: 768 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Just buy one of those slip on, Pachmyer Decelorators for range use and take it off for hunting. You will never notice the recoil when you shoot at game and you won't have to bastardize the gun. The weight difference between the steel plate and a pad will be negligible.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a PAST shoulder mounted recoil pad with good success. Just strap on over your undershirt and then a hunting shirt over it. Browning also makes a shooting shirt with a pocket over the shoulder that accepts a gel pad.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the good suggestions guys. I didn't mention that I might take this rifle with me this fall to Alaska on a brown bear hunt with my son, so weather proofing that area of the stock is important.