Find
Notify
Tools

Lead times for barrels, wow!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I ordered a Krieger barrel for my 6.5-284 on April 22nd. I just received word today that Krieger has a tentative shipping date of Sept 26th. That's just a little over 5 months for a contoured blank!

Of course I ordered the stock the first week of May and haven't heard anything about that yet.

I'll have to try Woody at Lothar-Walther for my barrel in the big bore I'm building next.

I guess I can't bitch at my gunsmith when he tells me it will take 6 months to build my rifle as that gives him less than a month to get all the work done.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I also ordered a Krieger today for my 9.3 X 62 project. I decided not to ask when it would be ready.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also try MRC. I got my 1/2 octogon 1/2 round in just under five months and my friend just ordered a 500 S & W in the same shape and got his in 2 weeks.

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I ordered a Krieger barrel for my 6.5-284 on April 22nd. I just received word today that Krieger has a tentative shipping date of Sept 26th. That's just a little over 5 months for a contoured blank!

That is long for Krieger. Normal delivery time is about 10 weeks. I got 2 .224 cal blanks from them this spring/summer, and they pretty much delivered on time. Actually, we had to call them up when the barrels got delayed, and they found the barrels unshipped in their shipping room... Roll Eyes

I also ordered a .277 cal blank from them last year, that also took about 10 weeks. Maybe you ran into a busy period, or they don't do .264 barrels as often??
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think mine beats all of it!

A .333jeffery Barrel, metford rifled has taken
approx 18 month from Arms Restoration Service in england. Razzer.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
I also ordered a .277 cal blank from them last year, that also took about 10 weeks. Maybe you ran into a busy period, or they don't do .264 barrels as often??
- mike

I looked on their site and they have a big notice on it telling people not to email them as they won't read them and just delete them every day. They must be busy.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
It's the week or two after Camp Perry. Every competitor on Earth is doing the winter rebarrel.

Redial

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
One of my friends ordered a .338 barrel from Kreiger nearly seven months ago, and he just received it. I hope it shoots! Wink

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shilen is running 4-6 weeks now with some calibers in stock. I got a . 358 barrel for David Christman and it took 2 weeks. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look on Brownells and Midway. I am not sure of the contour or CM vrs SS for your application but they have some barrels in stock. The CM selection is poor though.

This is why I got a Shilen Match by the way for my current project, I didn't need to wait. My next build is going to be a Krieger or Obermeyer barrel and I will be patient. If you think Krieger is long call Obermeyer its over a year last time I called.

Allen:

Whats getting built with that Krieger? I know you have a appreciation of nice rifles is this something special?

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lester Bruno usually stocks some of the blanks more commonly used in competitive shooting (in particular BR). Looking at his website, it looks like he stocks some Krieger, Hart and Shilen blanks. So if you are in a hurry, maybe you could just get lucky...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lester only stocks benchrest barrels. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to http://www.accuracyarms.com for a great price on Shilen barrels. Kim Lehew is the owner and a real pleasure to do business with. Butch

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redial:
It's the week or two after Camp Perry. Every competitor on Earth is doing the winter rebarrel.

Redial

Yes now, but I ordered it spring! roflmao

Frank

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I got 2 .338 bbl in 1in 8.5 twist in 6 weeks recieved them first of the month the strange twist rate dident seem to hurt but odd bor dia do seem to take longer than standard because they make them in batch by bore dia. so all 30 then all 338 then all 270 it just depends on where in the cycle your order falls.

they are worth the mony and the wait.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i ordered three 30 cal barrels from BOOTS OBERMYER onley 5 weeks ago ,,ready this week ...boots is a great guy to deal with
CAN RECOMMEND HIM!!
Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M 98,

Obermeyer has a lot better lead times on his 30 cal barrels, ask about a 6.5 cal or a 7mm.

These don't have such good lead times.

When you get these installed and shooting post about these though I am very interested in his barrels. Did you get a 5R barrel ?

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote