New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 760 vs. 7600
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Currently in the market for a Remington pump rifle for deer hunting here in NH & ME.

I was wondering what the differences were between the older model 760 versus the newer 7600?

In other words....if you were going to buy one which is the "better" rifle all other things being equal?

There are plenty of older 760s on the shelves around here and I tend to think the older model rifles of whatever manufacture were generally better made used better materials so I am leaning in this direction.
The only difference between the two as far as I know is the number of locking lugs used in the actions and the 7600 appears to be made a little trimmer.

Can anyone give me the low down on these two rifles regarding differences both good & bad?

They seem pretty similar but I want to double check before purchasing.

Thanks for the help!

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For one thing the bolt locking are better on 7600, than the 760. They are stronger.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt the lug design make much difference from a strength stand point. The new design is probably easier to make. The 760 that I examined had lugs that were manufactured by thread grinding.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only 2 replys. Smiler

Someone's got to know more about the difference in these 2 rifles.

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Owned both in 30-06, no longer have either but only because I traded them off for something that interested me more at the time. Between a late model 760 and an early 7600 the wood was a little different shape, both had pressed checkering and glossy stocks, more or less the same trigger feel, and both shot better then I expected, trigger considered. They say the 760 rattled more in the forend but both of mine seemed the same. Maybe the older plain 760's had more differences but these were both 70's rifles pretty much the same other then the bolt. For where and how I hunt now I just don't have a use for a pump rifle but would like to have a carbine in .35 rem or .35 whelen. Around here you see a lot of pumps or lever actions, just depends on what you like to carry around.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The factory said that they wer changing the lugs on the new model, especially 742, because there was a problem with lugs stripping after a lot of uses. Since it is easier and cheaper to make one bolt that would fit more than one model(would the factory do such a thing).

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote