THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

proper way to cut Mark X stock for Lyman peep?
 Login/Join

<David Arens>
posted
I have purchased a Lyman 57 for my Mark X and will have to remove some wood from the stock in order to make it fit. My question is should I remove all of the wood from the front of the cut for the bolt handle to the rear of the cut out for the bolt body? Or, just cut far enough back from the bolt body cut to fit the sight which would leave 1/4" or less sticking up between the front of the bolt handle and the rear of the reciever sight base? Man, I wish I could draw a picture, I can barely understand my own question. Well, If anybody can figure this out and can sling a little advice my way, I would really appreciate it. Thank you,
Dave

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
David its your call. Whatever looks best to you.
I do it either way. Depends what mood i'm in I guess. It can look more professional when you leave wood on either side IF it is fitted correctly with NO gaps. When you leave wood on either side always be careful when romoving the barreled action from the stock so you don't chip the wood off on either side of the base.

Like Dennis Miller says: Just my opinion I could be wrong. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
As Doug says, it is your call and depends on what you want to do with your rifle. Personally, if this is for a gun you shoot a lot I would remove the little finger of wood, in my experience it will be only a matter of time before some of it chips off. Of course, if you left it and it broke off at a later date it will be no big deal to clean it up and refinish that area then.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<David Arens>
posted
Thank you very much for the help! I didn't know if there was a standard way to do it or what. I think I'll open it completely, you're right, if I didn't it would chip off later. This is on my '06 so I do use it, alot and hard.
thanks again,
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
To do it correctly, it should be inletted in to fit with as little clearance as needed so that it does not split out. On a Custom Rifle I sometimes inlay an Ebony block and enlet the sight into that with a frame around the sight. You could do this on a Factory rifle and it would look neat.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Ray, that sounds like a really cool thing! Do you have a pic of one you can post? (or email to someone who can post it for you [Smile] )

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
No, no that I can find, I sold those rifles many moons ago...but just inlett a Ebony block in the stock and glass it, Leave a `1/4" of Ebony standing out then inlet the peep into it, then cut your frame outlining the receiver sight..

I believe Customstox had a nice Manlicher stocked rifle with a framed Receiver sight, although it was cut in the original stock wood, not an Ebony enlay...

I did one once that was around the bolt slot and the receiver sight and it looked nice...the owner had busted the wood in that area around the sight and bolt, thus this idea took got its birth, to save his nice custom stock that he had spent a year building, but inletted a bit tight in the wrong spot...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
No, no that I can find, I sold those rifles many moons ago...but just inlett a Ebony block in the stock and glass it, Leave a `1/4" of Ebony standing out then inlet the peep into it, then cut your frame outlining the receiver sight..

I believe Customstox had a nice Manlicher stocked rifle with a framed Receiver sight slot, although it was cut in the original stock wood, not an Ebony enlay...

I did one once that was around the bolt slot and the receiver sight and it looked nice...the owner had busted the wood in that area around the sight and bolt, thus this idea took birth, to save his nice custom stock that he had spent a year building, but inletted a bit tight in the wrong spot...