Notify
Tools

Damaged receiver on Mod 70 375H&H...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted
Hello everyone,

I was doing a routine cleaning of my favorite rifle... WIN 70 SS in 375 H&H when I discovered something on the bottom end of the receiver! I noticed what appeared to be a crack just bellow the ejector blade. For a split second my heart raced and I thought that I had a cracked receiver!!! As I calmed down and examined things I discovered that (slit) if I may call it that way, seemed to be there from factory. Would a gunsmith be able to confirm that this is normal and that my rifle is fine... I know this sounds stupid but I want to be sure! Following are two pictures to explain what I mean.

Thanks again for your help.

Maurice

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks normal to me.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, that slot is from the factory. It is machined all the way through like that to facillitate assembly along a production line.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for your replies... just learned something new!

one of us
posted Hide Post
That slot is where the ejector retracts to when the bolt is closed. The ejector isn't fixed, it's hinged with a spring under it. When the bolt is opened the ejector raises into position and ejects the cartridge case. When the bolt is closed it pushes the ejector down into the slot. Take the bolt out and push down on the ejector, you'll see how it works.

one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for replying to my post. Once again, I learned something new today!!!

Maurice

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I had to take mine apart as the trigger hinge pin was hitting the ejector. Took it out, grounded off a bit and it's as good as new.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1431 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote