New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOP considerations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to relate a story that happened to me last night. I was travelling home and stopped at my favorite outfitter's shop to peruse the used gun racks.

I came to a VZ-24 chambered in 35 Whelen with a 26" ER Shaw barrel which I guessed was a No3 contour and what I believe is an HS Precision stock wiht a bit of negative pitch to the comb. I've always had factory LOP rifles at about 14" and never quite figured out why they have always felt a bit clumsy.

This one was a measured 13.5 and man! it handled like a dream even with the 26" barrel. Not sure I ever understood LOP and how important it is until now.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 35 whelen with a 26" douglas and I'd guess LOP at 13.5 maybe 13.25 (was my stepfathers). While it is a bit short for me in warm weather clothes, in my jacket in winter (hunting season) it fits perfect and I LOVE the balance. the right length and right balance is really important to it feeling natural.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
I want to relate a story that happened to me last night. I was travelling home and stopped at my favorite outfitter's shop to peruse the used gun racks.

I came to a VZ-24 chambered in 35 Whelen with a 26" ER Shaw barrel which I guessed was a No3 contour and what I believe is an HS Precision stock wiht a bit of negative pitch to the comb. I've always had factory LOP rifles at about 14" and never quite figured out why they have always felt a bit clumsy.

This one was a measured 13.5 and man! it handled like a dream even with the 26" barrel. Not sure I ever understood LOP and how important it is until now.
What is your measured LOP?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dunno because I do not know the correct way to do it.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote