New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baffled
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Win. Mod. 71 that was made in 1937, and it's in very good condition. Until recently it was shooting good groups, but lately it's scattering shots all over the paper. I'm loading 50 grains of H4895, 200 grain Hornady Interlocks, and CCI LR primers. I've never shot max loads. I've cleaned it thoroughly, but it doesn't help. I'm thinking there must be something wrong with the barrel. What could it be?

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

After 80 years it's probably starting to show it's age and wear and pitting in the bore has finally caught up with it. Short of that you can run a patch trough it and get a flashlight and carefully inspect it of bulges.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to inspect the crown.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loose sight/s ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto. If scoped, it is not uncommon for scope reticles to "shoot loose". I've had it happen several times and see it frequently in the business trade. Scope mounts can and do loosen.

quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Loose sight/s ?

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 99 did the same thing over the years the stock had become a bit loose.

As always look for things being loose first.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the thorough cleaning regimen- including stripping copper out of the bore?
If not, that's where I'd start...

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I would check the buttstock area where ocntact is made with the receiver/tang. In one of his books Warren Page talks about how wood can become 'soft' after long term exposure to oil (cleaning-storage) and it makes the wood soft and affects the bedding.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with a Marlin M336 in .35 Rem. that I had since the early 70's. It got so bad I couldn't hit the backboard at 50 yds. and I clean it every time I shoot it with Patch Out.
A friend gave me some WITCHES BREW (Holland's Shooting Supply) and after a good cleaning with that the rifle went back to shooting nice groups. The problem wasn't copper fouling it was CARBON FOULING!

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell from looking down the bore from the muzzle the rifling looks fine, and all the screws are tight. I placed an order for that cleaner and I'll give it a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While waiting for the "Witches brew", you can find spray carbon cleaner at most boat and auto shops...Mercury boat motors use somehting called "Quick...." that works great Wipe-out FOAM will take out the carbon...look for the BROWNISH color on the patches.

Loose stock, forearm, lever AND a loose forearm stock band can cause my leverguns to go south, especially when the forearm is touching the barrel at odd places.

Good luck finding the problem and Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Check headspace and timing, and I do not mean the barrel kind.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're referring to my brain I get it.

I tried the Witch's Brew cleaner following their rather elaborate instructions, and the amount of gunk that came out was amazing.

Now, to see how it shoots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look down from the chamber end and you will see how much ware that the throat has burned out. Looking from the muzzle end you will always see a good barrel unless it has a swell inside the barrel.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote