Find
Notify
Tools

Metal Checkering
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello

I would like to know an easy way for checkering a stainless steel metal sheet.
Material is plain stainless steel sheet , it could be 306 but really, I do not know because I bought it in a junk yard.
Dimenssions are 1/2 inch wide, 2 inches long and 1/8 thick approx , flat.
This part will be screwed or rivetted on 1911 frame dust, below the slide , for support of my left hand thumb on the frame dust.
Well , it is a one time project, I do not have machine or checkering files, it would be very expensive buy something for a one time project( yes, I know, a neaty gunsmith with a milling maching is the best solution).
I have several triangle files and a conventional marking awl, but stainless steel is very hard for marking and filing.
Is there some procedure for checkering this simple sheet with hand tools ?
Which would be the most recommendable checkering; 16 lines per inch, 18, 24?
What would be the marker point made off for improving penetration on the stainless steel?
I am using sheet metal strips as spacers, it is;
one 1/8 thick strip for the first line , 2 strips for the second , etc. I am thinking I will rivet since 4th stripe onwards for getting a 4x1/8 or 5x1/8 solid bunch of strips.

Thanks for your help

BA Shoooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BA, something is lost in translation. I don't understand "dust".If the stainless steel is type 304 it shouldn't be too difficult to mark.If it's a steel that has been hardened it's going to be difficult.304 should be marked with a steel awl, but a carbide one would be easier.Checkering should be 18-20 lines per inch.Do I assume correctly that the spacers are for marking and filing ? For a one time project a triangular file will work.I wish I had a picture to understand better. Most shooters don't use their left thumb at all.

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I would use a checkering file available from Brownells.. you can build a jib to keep the lines straight..

John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never tried it but I have heard of using a thread restorer to mark even spacing.
I have used one to reduce the od of a 98 Mauser barrel thread so that it would fit.
A good tool to own anyway.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a product called "Dykem layout dye" It's basicly a thin blue paint, and the layout lines are scratched in after the dye dries (lines stand out silver on blue). You should be able to borrow a quick spray application from a local machine shop.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I have tons of Dykem if you want some shoot me an address I will send to you.. a sharpie is what I use when marking knife blades to see how a grind is going..

JOhn

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a good time to learn the basic cutting with an graver tool. A Sharpie pen is a good marking pen and then scribe a master line on the metal at the middle of the pattern. Make a scribe with two points as a spacer of the lines per inch needed. A high speed lathe tool bit can be made into a graver tool with a point that will cut a groove of 90 degrees. The front angle should be about 45 degrees. The main reason to use a graver tool is that you can cut in areas that you cannot cut with a file and keep the lines straight. This is how I make the checkered bolt knobs for rifles. If anyone would like to learn more on this process I will show you my setup.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les

By all means, show us the setup.
And thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
These are my basic tools to cut checkering. I also have a tool that I made to sharpen the gravers. This is the set up for bolt knobs. Flat areas are much easier to do than the curves. Send me a PM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the sharpening tool I made. I also have one that sharpens the flat gravers with a slightly different head. The trick in learning to engrave metal is to have a good sharpening tool that will repeat with the same angles each time. You will spend about 35 % of your time cutting the metal and 65 % sharpening the tools. Practise!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your answers.Really, very good information here.
Right Mete , something is missing , It is dust cover, front of the 1911 frame, below the slide, spring and spring guide of the slide are covered by the dust cover.
I will get a carbide point, stainless steel is not hardened because I cut it with an arc saw easily but, it seems becoming harder when I try to penetrate or file its surface.

The engraving device is great, I will try to reproduce this tool shape.
65% sharpening/35% checkering is a rule new for me, it could be the reason why I can not remove significant quantities of metal.

Thanks for all

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The term 'dust cover' is, as far as I know, a relatively new term for that part of the frame.A dust cover usually is [or was] a part that covers the ejection port on some military weapons [such as our M3 submachine gun of WWII]and flips up to eject a case..It's sole purpose is to keep dust and dirt out of the action.But then I'm an old guy and speak a different kind of english !!!