Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Burgess...RIP
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
We are still working on an obituary to be published for the gun world (In the Rifleman etc.) but here is an online version of what was published locally: Click Here

After hearing comments from “gun nutsâ€, the family has come to the realization that we did not truly know the Tom that you all did. So please if you would, take a few minutes and jot down any stories, anecdotes and/or maybe send copies of pictures to one of the addressees at the bottom of this post. Basically share anything you feel is worth sharing.

It has been mentioned that his notes should be archived; some of his best notes were created during the Internet age of Tom, unfortunately the free email account he used would flush out “sent†emails after 90 days so some of his writings are lost. With that said, if you have correspondence from him and you want it added to the archive, please send it to one of the following addresses. You are also invited to share with us any ideas of how to archive this stuff.

For the computer savvy: tmbmemorial@gmail.com

For snail mail, please send it to his oldest son Mike:

Mike Burgess
2083 N Westwind Dr.
Post Falls, ID 83854

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
God Bless Tom Burgess

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As mentioned earlier he was surrounded by family in his home when he died. Grace Hospice helped us keep him comfortable; he received the Sacrament of the Sick (“Last Rites†“Extreme Unction“) and all of his kids got to speak with him just prior. The last words he heard were from me “Well done sir, well doneâ€.

The funeral was NOT a sad somber event, but was instead a sung Requiem Mass. He was then given a proper Military Burial including a volley of fire performed by the VFW using M1s (very fitting for him), taps were played on a real Trumpet by his grandson David and the very sharp Color Guard was flown in from Missoula. After the blessing of the grave and the lowering of the coffin, his family put a layer earth on him, followed by scoops of chips from his shop (some of his last work), roses, an unspent M1 round, and three dollar bills (money due for an hour’s worth of work at his original price). To conclude the ceremony “As the Saints Come Marching In†was played by David, my dad always thought a jazz funeral was the way to go. The rest of the day was spent celebrating his life at the Burgess ranch with a Keg of his favorite beer “Kokaneeâ€, good food, target shooting, Blue Grass/Folk Music played by family and friends, and lots of stories and tall tales.

I believe everything went as it should and my dad would approve.

Had me close to tears. I lost my sister 20 years ago, and it still hurts. I didn't get to speak to her before she died-- found out hours afterward. I never told her I loved her in the 30-plus years we had together. It still bothers me I couldn't find the time in all those years.

I hope you told your dad you loved him at some point before he passed. My dad told me that he waited nearly 30 years to hear me say that by the time I finally did in February of 1984. For all of you AR posters out there, tell your loved ones you do love them; you never know when you might not ever have the chance to do so again...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote