Find
Notify
Tools

Cut my Metric threads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted
I have a South Bend Heavy 10 that does not cut metric thread. Need someone near Davenport, Iowa to cut my two barrels to a mini Mauser receiver. Just thread the shanks, I will chamber them. Thanks for looking, hope you can help.
fishing

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh....well ain't exactly rocket science at ilt's best. But you can use the compound set parallel to the bed. Set your threads as close as possible, then advance the compound as you slowly cut the thread.

You have to pay attention, but after a couple passes you'll get the rythem and timing down.

I've done this and only needed lilght lapping to clean everything up

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Ahhh....well ain't exactly rocket science at ilt's best. But you can use the compound set parallel to the bed. Set your threads as close as possible, then advance the compound as you slowly cut the thread.

You have to pay attention, but after a couple passes you'll get the rythem and timing down.

Or, he could use a hammer and a chisel.

Olcrip, keep looking. BTW, UPS can get the barrels to someone who can do it if you can't find someone near Davenport, Iowa.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Des Moines close enough? I can work it out if you give me notice you are going to be in the area overnight sometime.

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Strangely enough, I am in Davenport. I will PM you.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I will look in the morning for the 127 transpose gear. Let you know what I find out. Thanks a bunch! patriot

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done a number of those and other metric threads. I am in the twin cities area, you can email or ship it to me. Will be at DSC for a week, after that, less than a week turn-around.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Just remember DO NOT disengage the half nut once engaged & be real quick to back out & reverse feed at the end of each pass. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I am a retired toolmaker. I am capable of cutting threads. My little machine is not set up to cut metric! If worse come pass I would find a way or have a trans pose gear made. It's cheaper and more expedicious for me to pay a local craftsman than to waste time trying to play my own fiddle. I appreciate all the attention I only wish I could make the woman be so attentive. patriot

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.