Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Linspeed for metal
 Login/Join

posted
I've been putting Linspeed on my rifles exposed metal work for better protection from the elements. I've only used this on rifles that aren't rare or expensive. However, I'm thinking of using this method to protect more valuable firearms that are working guns.

Will this cause any harm?

Suggestions/comments please.

Hopsing

Posts: 14 | Location: DFW | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It won't hurt your metal. In fact, many of the old English gunsmiths used to coat fine shotguns and rifles the same way. You do need to make sure any rust is neutralized before coating to keep it from pitting under the film of varnish. Also, keep it out of working parts for obvious reasons.

I have two hunting rifles I coated with satin polyurethane from a spray can(Minwax) and they look and wear great. It dries harder than Linspeed and the satin finish doesn't show scratches as bad.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Hopsing---

There used to be a product on the market called ClenZoil. Maybe the spelling is a little off. It came in a 3 oz clear bottle and was a light green color. To smell it you'd have thought it was pure turpentine but it actually had a small amount of varnish in it. The directions were to seal new rust blue, but it worked well with all metal work and you don't have to find the stuff to use it.

I use a one ounce spar varnish to a half pint of turpentine for my own mixture. Completely clean the metal of all solids like dust, dirt, and fouling (outside only), and then heat up the metal with a propane torch until the moisture that forms on heating leaves, then wipe on the green stuff with a barely damp rag and let it stand overnight. A thin coat is better than a thick one.

I've used a LOT of blued guns on salt water fishing boats without a problem with this treatment.

You can substitute Linspeed if you like. It's just an especially expensive spar varnish but works the same way.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Gentlemen. If one wants to remove any of the discussed treatments, could it be done without harming the blue finish?

Also, seems to me that EVERYONE would be varnishin' their rifles, but I don't hear much about it. I started w/Linspeed while building a stock. Stumbled across what I thought was a pretty good idea.

Hopsing

Posts: 14 | Location: DFW | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Hopsing---

Use any paint remover to take off the varnish. It doesn't harm bluing at all.

The reason you don't see many varnished rifles is because any defect in the coating can allow moisture to enter and start a rusting action under the varnish. A VERY light coat, as described above, seals the pores of the metal without a build-up.