New
Find
Notify
Tools

lapping Talleys
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best way to lap vertically split rings like Talleys or Warne?

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, those do not need to be lapped; they are about as good as they come. More importantly, I would think about bedding your bases to the action if you have a misalignment problem.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I had a misalignment problem on two Mod 70's and went the custom base route. Before trhe new bases the scope was slightly bound up but after they fit perfectly. Depending on your finances, you may consider new bases or the bedding (Ed Lapour calls it an orthotic :-)) like Jim says. I don;t want to speak for Jim but I believe he does custom bases aws well.

Good luck,
Baxter

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, instead of full custom bases, factory bases can be adjusted to account for misalignment. Just today I trimed .018" off the bottom of a Leupold front base for an FN Mauser so it was the same height as the rear base. A lot cheaper than full custom bases.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Just today I trimed .018" off the bottom of a Leupold front base for an FN Mauser so it was the same height as the rear base. A lot cheaper than full custom bases.

And, you didn't need a release agent. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toomany Tools, Good job! Big Grin Big Grin Glad to hear someone that trims bases. thumb My Talleys front will be higher than the rear on my FNs also

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote