New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser action ID
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a small ring mauser action that I want to confirm the ID on. I'm guessing it's a military action as it has the clip and thumb slots. Someone had started work on it and had smooth out the top of the action so no ID marks are there. It's not been drilled and tapped. Underside of action has what I'm guessing are proof marks(numbers and letters). The bolt,which has the third safety lug, hasn't been modified(handle still straight out) except for an aftermarket shroud w/o saftey and jeweled extractor. It's got no trigger but does have the trigger housing,follower,spring,and floorplate. I have found three marks on the square part of the bolt handle underside. Two appear to be crowns with a J under each and the third appears to be a lion with a crown on its head standing on its rear legs holding a sword. I have an NRA Mauser Rifles magazine that shows an ID mark very similar to the crown and J marks on my action. Of course there is more area on the receiver ring so there is more detail to both crown and J. The ID mark in the magazine is for a short-barreled 7.9mm carbine produced in Belgium by FN for the Dutch police. J stands for Queen Juliana of the Netherlands.
That's all I can tell you. If anyone can help confirm the ID I'd APPRECIATE it. Also I'm more than likely going to sell this thing,so if anyone has an idea what it's worth that would be APPRECIATED also.

til later

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course there is more area on the receiver ring so there is more detail to both crown and J.

Can you provide us with a close up photo of the action? Dutch carbines (Wiliminia & Juliana) both were large rings. If you look in the military forum the Mauser at the top of the page is my Juliana.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DH,APPRECIATE the reply. Grandkids showed up so as soon,as in if,it calms down around here I plan on posting some pics. Posted on another site and was told the standing lion could mean a CZECH action. I told him I'd like to sell this to someone to use but want make sure it's a fair deal.

til later