New
Find
Notify
Tools

After market synthetic stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Ruger M77 II with the cheap plastic stock. It wasn't that accurrate so I took it to a gunsmith. On his recommendation, I had him free float the barrel.

Before the stock was free floated, it marryied the barrel at two places. These two places are now rough and jagged looking (though I suppose the barrel is now free floated.) The gunsmith shot it at a range after free floating the barrel and showed me the target. Pathetic. Certainly no better than it was before. I have not shot it yet.

Any recommendations? If an after market synthetic is the answer, are they truly "drop in'" or what I have to have a gunsmith bed it?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Older Rugers (can't tell you an exact date range) had barrels made by the lowest bidder and would not shoot worth a shit unless rebarreled.

I bet yours is one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've purchased three Bell&Catlson synthetic stocks from Midway and they are drop in with the exception of one that needed some light cutting with a dremel tool. In all three cases the accuracy of the rifles improved with the new stocks.

I don't know about old inaccurate Rugers but I have one manufactured in 1983 and it's very accurate.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote