New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camo stock pic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is a pic of a Rimrock stock, painted with Lauer/dura-coat, I bedded to my Ruger MK II.338.
Had the barrel cut down to 22" and glass beaded

(img)http://www.huntandlodge.com/gallery/albun00/a007_19

http://www.huntandlodge.com/gallery/albun00/a007_19

[ 05-18-2003, 23:43: Message edited by: Anaconda ]

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who did the paint and how much? Thanks

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I painted it myself.
This was my first stock job from a blank. It took a long time, but it was fun.
The paint cost about $30, it's a two part system, kinda like epoxy. Spray it on with a automotive detail gun, or air brush.
Do an internet search on "Lauer products" or "Dura-coat" they have a good web site.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Good job!!!!

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anaconda,

What is your opinon of the Rimrock stock, if I may ask? Been thinking of getting one, but have come across precious little first hand experience with them. Would you be able to draw any comparisons against, say, a mcmillan?

Thanks!

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never touched a McMillian, I here there good, but kinda heavy ( same weight as wood).
I decided on the Rimrock based on advice, mostly from this fourm. It (Rimrock) has a great feel, and good checkering. Seems to be well built, and about 13 oz lighter than the factory laminated stock ( probably 8 to 10 oz lighter than factory wood )
If you want a well built "classic" stock and save some weight, look at Rimrock & Hi-Tech. The Hi-Tech is even lighter, but no checkering.
If you've never finished a blank, it takes some work inletting. The painting was fun, I think my next project will be a Hi-Tech for my Rem 700, .270

[ 05-21-2003, 06:23: Message edited by: Anaconda ]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Excellent paint job. [Wink]

[ 05-22-2003, 05:18: Message edited by: D Humbarger ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome paint job Anaconda!!! [Smile]

AXEL

Posts: 28 | Location: Stronghurst, IL | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If and I say If you gotta have a plastic stock God forbid, then the Rimrock is the only way to go...They have a great feel, and they are designed so much better than the rest, that there is hardly any comparison..I have built a bunch of them for clients...Like anything else you get about what you pay for and they are not cheap...

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote