Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 SA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted
Picked up a Rem 700 PSS "Police" over this past weekend and I am toying with the idea of rebarreling it. What is the heaviest contour that will reliably work on this gun? Is a Light Varmint benchrest contour @26" too much for this action?

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMJ888:
Picked up a Rem 700 PSS "Police" over this past weekend and I am toying with the idea of rebarreling it. What is the heaviest contour that will reliably work on this gun? Is a Light Varmint benchrest contour @26" too much for this action?

How about 1.250 to the muzzle? The Light Varmint at 26" should be just fine. I don't think the action is going to care one way or the other.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about 1.250 to the muzzle?

I am assuming you are talking a straight contour 1.25" which is more than what I had in mind. I was thinking something in the .900-.950" range at the muzzle. I am going to keep it in the HS Precision stock and I didn't know if that was too much weight to put on it. I had heard there were limitations with the 700's but wasn't sure.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMJ888:
quote:
How about 1.250 to the muzzle?

I am assuming you are talking a straight contour 1.25" which is more than what I had in mind. I was thinking something in the .900-.950" range at the muzzle. I am going to keep it in the HS Precision stock and I didn't know if that was too much weight to put on it. I had heard there were limitations with the 700's but wasn't sure.

There are limitations with all actions but excess barrel weight and diameter isn't one of them. When it comes to barrel contours, the only limiting factor is how much extra weight the person carrying the rifle want's to bear. The .900 -.950 would be no problem.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help...new 6mm 1 in 8" twist LV contour is on its way.