New
Find
Notify
Tools

installing sight bases?
 Login/Join

Picture of Frank in FL
posted
Hello everyone..I have a cz-24 mauser chambered in 257rob. and I am going to install open sights on it (williams streamlined ramp & an old lyman base with a marbles folding leaf)these will mainly be for backup and I think a rifle just looks better with open sights. Doing some figuring, heres my question. With the receiver set up on a level surface, with the bottom of the receiver level and a 1 foot level on the scope bases (Weaver bases), the scope bases are not level with the bottom of the receiver (.001 measuring with dial calipers on both sides of the receiver). Is is best to still level the front ramp and the rear sight bases with the bottom of the receiver? I plan on using Leopold QR scope bases instead of the Weaver mounts. This is the first time I am doing this, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it done that way.
I work off the Williams or marble sight chart.
these chart go by part number and tell you which parts to use based on barrel diameter and sight radius.
You just can't throw any sight on a rifle and expect it to hit anywhere near POA

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Frank in FL
posted Hide Post
I have the sight heights worked out( I used the height instr. in the brownells book)
barrel dia. @ rear sight .788 /2 = .394 (A)
barrel dia. @ front ramp .590 /2 = .295 (C)
total front sight hei. .469 + .281=.750 (D) (total front above C/L of bore).295+.75=1.045
total front height- A = .645

height of the rear base(top of barrel to bot. of dovetail .139 (-.645= .515)
the marbles rear leaf is adjustable (.460 to .590) so .515 puts me a little below the middle of the adjustment

But my main question is it looks like the top of the scope bases are not level with the bottom of the receiver. I plan on using different scope mounts so I would think the sight bases should be set so they are level with the bottom of the receiver and not the top of the scope bases??? I hope I am wording this right
Thanks Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope bases probably weren't fit to the action. They should be fit by either cutting the base or shimming. Mausers are all over the place when it comes to bridge dimensions.
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While good pointers, I don't that the suggestions above address what Frank is asking about. I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but I think I might be able to help re-state the question...

Frank, it sounds to me like you are not talking about level with respect to the axis of the bore. I think what you are talking about is that you are leveling the flat bottom of the receiver on a plane perpendicular to the bore, and you have discovered that the scope bases are not at top dead center, but canted to one side. Am I correct in this interpretation?

P.S. Just an opinion, but referencing your "two wrongs don't make a right" tagline, I'd install the open sights correctly unless it is so far off as to look funny with the scope mounted.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes sense, I was thinking level the other way. Which way are they off level?
Don