New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Iron Sights
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at getting a set of NEGC open sights installed on my 338 for use in Alaska as back-up.What would the cost be to mount them and who would you reccomend?I think they have only one screw each.I am looking at the master piece rear and the non adjustable front ramp.Does it use the same fober optic bead as the master piece banded front sight?They have flat and round what is the differance?What heights do I need?Are these front blued or in the white?How far down the barrel do I need to mount the front sight?Would you use a hood?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Mark Cromwell a call at NECG and he will be able to answer all of your questions and will be able to give you the correct heights you will need. I would get $20 a hole to D&T plus some return shipping. These are dandy sight and I just got done putting them on a 458 Lott and a 375.
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would the masterpiece rear work with a GEN III tritium or blade from Brockmans.I like the idea of the tritium.It would be great in low light and seems very durable.

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What diameter would a stock M70 barrel be at the position for a rear sight base.I cant find my caliper and want to order a rear sight.

Thanks

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rsm458Lott:
Would the masterpiece rear work with a GEN III tritium or blade from Brockmans.I like the idea of the tritium.It would be great in low light and seems very durable.

You can mix and match sights (front and rear) you just need to get the right height. Here's How

If you are planning on ordering these first then sending them to a gunsmith you NEED to find your calipers. Or beg borrow or steal a pair. Just because a rifle comes from the factory with sights placed where they are doesn't mean that it is right or where you would want them. For instance, I like to put as much distance between my sights without making the rear sight look "out of place" or positioning it where it will interfere with a low mounted scope.

I would say if you contacted a competant smith all you would have to do would be send them your rifle and discuss what you want and options.

Mike McCabe (z1r) or Jim Kobe who posted above would be able to help you.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote