THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding bottom metal - a question or two...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am about to bed a triggerguard and front screw bushing on an "ADL" style action, and have a few questions I would like to get some input on.

Do y'all bed the triggerguard "tight", that is to say without any clearance around its perimeter? Or, do you tape the edge to give a few thousands of room after the epoxy cures? Do you treat the front screw bushing in the same manner?

I have pretty much convinced myself that I would tape the triggerguard with some .005 thick tape I have and do the front bushing "tight". In part, I thought this would seem prudent as the guard has a screw to hold it in place while the front bushing does not.

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated!!

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I simply bed the metal in the wood, as long as its done properly there is no binding...a gap would result with the tape, that gap would be the thickness of the tape...why would you do that??

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Atkinson, thanks for your thoughts! Well, I was thinking that it "might" be helpful to allow the guard to have just a hair of wiggle room to allow it to self-center as the action screw is tightened. As long as it was on a surface that was square to the action, i thought that might be preferable. That was my thinking anyway!?

As to the gap, .005 is pretty small, so I didn't think it would be too bad. Also, I have to admit to you that the stock in question is fiberglass (I know how you feel about these [Roll Eyes] ), so its gonna get painted anyway.

I may just go with no gap anyway, I really haven't decided either way.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
BB,
Think about it, if you use the actual guard screw during the bedding process, the triggerguard will center itself and not need any gap. The bedding will fill any gap that is present. Wrap the shank of the rear guard screw with tape so it centers in the stock or pillar when you bed the ADL triggerguard. No need for tape on the triggerguard.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote