Notify
Tools

Bolt knob specs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted
Hello All,
I will be starting a machine shop class at a local community collage. For the end of the semester we are to create a simple "project". I was thinking about a bolt knob? I really like the knob by Badger Ordinance. The link below is a picture. I have no idea if I would be able to manage this but I thought it would be a good try. Does anyone have any specifications or ideas they could share?
Thanks
-Josh

http://www.gad.net/Shooting/LevelHead/PSS/BadgerBolt/BoltCloseup_250.jpg

Duty to your country means more than a ribbon magnet on the back of your car.

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Depends on how you plan on building the bolt knob. Do you want to do it the quick way, kind of a "get-er-done" style or "cave man machining". This is the kind of stuff they won't teach you in class. It's also the kind of machining that can make you money for one off stuff. Or, you could learn how to properly set up or make a radius attachment for turning the contours on the knob and learn how to single piont thread the inside. Wouldn't be very cost effective, but you might learn some good stuff. You could tell your instructor to instruct you on both the cave man style and the multiple setup ways and make a few extra knobs for your friends!

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker

I am confused. I don't think I have every seen a bolt knob that has been threaded. But then of course I haven't been in your shop either. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Gunmaker

I am confused. I don't think I have every seen a bolt knob that has been threaded. But then of course I haven't been in your shop either. Big Grin

The Badger tactical knobs are threaded. You cut off the present knob, thread the shaft with a die and then screw on the new knob. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but they are pretty popular in some circles.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would stick with your orginal thought,and then go on to the threaded ones if you like later on. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Gunmaker

If you were here today you would see a threaded Kimber 8400 handle that I unscrewed laying on my bench. The Talley handle looks so much better on the Kimber....

Here's a link with some great pics for installing a Badger bolt knob
benchrest central

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Thanks i'll make sure to ask about cave-man style as well.
-Josh

Duty to your country means more than a ribbon magnet on the back of your car.

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
If you were here today you would see a threaded Kimber 8400 handle that I unscrewed laying on my bench. The Talley handle looks so much better on the Kimber....

Could you throw up a pic on that???

I've got a few bolt handles laying around and an 84 that could use the treatment.....

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've turned down the knob and threaded a few Rem 700s using a mill. Put the bolt in V-blocks in the vise and use a boring bar/boring head to turn the knob down. Then, using a tubular style die holder, run a 5/16-24 die down on the stub that you just created.
Do a neat job on the knob so that it goes on a bit further than the threads, looks classy.