Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 96/98 differences
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted
Please forgive my ingnorance I'm just curious as to the differences and similarities between these two rifles and what if any parts can be interchanged between the two. Thanks.

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too many differances to list. I suggest a few of the Mauser books or the Bolt action Rifles books. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
There are three primary differences in the actions:

1. The '96 action cocks on closing the bolt while the '98 cocks on lifting the bolt handle.

2. The '98 has a third 'safety' locking lug that engages under the rear bridge of the action that the '96 lacks.

3. The original '98 has an 'inner collar' inside the front receiver ring that almost completely surrounds the head of the bolt and against which the barrel abuts as it is threaded into the receiver.

I don't think any parts interchange, though it's possible that the extractor claw might.

[ 01-03-2003, 02:33: Message edited by: bpesteve ]

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
The 98 was designed to handle high pressure rounds and overcomes a few weaknesses in the design of the 96. That being said, the 96 is a great design, but really is suited for chambering anything hotter than its original chamberings. I would counsel against hot rodding 6.5x55 or 7x57 rounds in a model 96.

<t_bob38>
posted
The 96 is essentially a model 93. As stated above the 98 is much different.

<ty>
posted
Just a question?
If the 96 is a weak action,then why did Kimber use the 96 to build the 308?

<stans>
posted
Because the 308 fit the magazine and did not blow up the gun. It is widely accepted that a good M-96 action will handle most factory 308 ammo without problems. Whether the actions will hold up to hot handloads and Hornady's Light Magnums, I don't know. The M-98 has two safety factors that the M-96 does not possess. First, the M-98 has a large bolt sleeve that will deflect gases from a piered primer away from the shooters face. Second, the M-98 has a third locking lug at the rear of the bolt, something the M-96 does not possess. Should the front lugs of a M-98 fail, the rear lug will prevent the bolt from being blown into the shooters face.

[ 01-04-2003, 22:11: Message edited by: stans ]

<ty>
posted
My kimber shoots best at max loads.Am I pushing this action too far to be safe? I would really hate to have a bolt stuck in my head!

<stans>
posted
I think you are safe as long as you are not exceeding the maximum pressure for the 308. There are a lot of model 96's out there chambered for 308, just don't try to make them into magnums.

<ty>
posted
Thanks for the info. Ty

one of us
posted Hide Post
The left locking lug on a 96 is a lot larger than on the 98. So with equal metallurgy (Swede) the lugs on the 96 should be stronger, except there is no backup 3rd lug.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bolt lugs on 98's never fail anyway, there is less metal in the 96 reciever, it doesn't have the inner collar, it doesn't have the 98's gas system, no 3rd lug, and 96's can be soft. They have lug setback with factory 6.5 ammo sometimes.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote