New
Find
Notify
Tools

Secret to Rem 700 accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After replacing and testing over 500 Rem 700 family triggers I have realized why the 700 has a reputation for accuracy. You never really know when the sear will trip!

The vast majority of triggers I install vary up to 8 oz or more between pull tests. I have installed triggers outside the stock that release within 1 ounce of set weight reliably. After action installation into the stock they can vary up to a pound or more. Often high and low within a test string. After test firing the value changes + or - again. I have surmised this can be an advantage because the moment of firing is always a surprise.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why the difference in and out of the stock? Is the trigger bow rubbing on something causing the inconsistent pull?

Posts: 595 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The adjustment screws rub on the wood, particularly the one in front.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worked on older Remington 700 triggers, making sure there was enough room when bedding the action.

I also had several worked over by a fellow called "The Wyoming Triggerman."

All of those triggers have held at 3.25# +/- two ounces, over twenty - thirty years. They don't work well adjusted below 2.5# in my limited experience.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All these triggers are checked for adequate clearance. The worst offenders are the plastic stocked guns. This leads me to believe it has something to do with stressed placed on the receiver when the action screws are torqued. The best and most stable results are with pillar bedded aluminum/composite stocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Striker to Sear Hand Off seems to be Rocket Science for the inexperienced plumbers.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my rifles are epoxy bedded to be no stress when put back together, often in pillar bedded stocks.

The last plastic stock in the house found its calling as a chew toy for my German Shorthair Pointer, Uschi.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can say as well....it is amazing what a good trigger cleaning will do.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, these are brand new installed triggers. No stock inletting allowed other than needed to allow proper safety/trigger function. The big point is that tensions induced by stock installations cause variations in trigger pull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster,
Inlet for a pre 2006 Walker design trigger group differs tremendously from a post 2006 X Mark trigger group.
Same applies for a CG,a Jewell or a BixnAndy.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am well aware. I have to regularly alter trigger guard and trigger housing stock inletting to clear moving parts. But I also have to replace early XMP triggers that don't require fitting. What I am talking about is a trigger swap with no indicated interference. Trigger pull is different outside the stock, than in-the-stock, than after firing. Then it can vary as much as 8 oz in a pull string +/-. The more limber the stock the worse it is in general. As an example I frequently will adjust a trigger to say 4 lb 2 oz to stay within factory requirements. Fire two test shots and measure again. Trigger pull drops to 3 lb 8 oz or climbs to 4 lb 14 oz.

quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
Bobster,
Inlet for a pre 2006 Walker design trigger group differs tremendously from a post 2006 X Mark trigger group.
Same applies for a CG,a Jewell or a BixnAndy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster,
Striker to Sear "Hand-Off"is the cause & all dependent on how you cycle the bolt.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com