New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding screws and floating question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Winchester M70, which in the past was glass-bedded and free-floated, but I have noticed that the under part of the stock tip touches the barrel. I have ordered a barrel channel tool from Brownell's, so I was wondering if you can tell me how much wood I should remove...how much space should there be between the wood and the barrel.
Also, do I need a torque-wrench to install the 3 bedding screws? Can I just tighten them by hand, and if so, how tight should they be? Thank you all very much!!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
I have a Winchester M70, which in the past was glass-bedded and free-floated, but I have noticed that the under part of the stock tip touches the barrel. I have ordered a barrel channel tool from Brownell's, so I was wondering if you can tell me how much wood I should remove...how much space should there be between the wood and the barrel.
Also, do I need a torque-wrench to install the 3 bedding screws? Can I just tighten them by hand, and if so, how tight should they be? Thank you all very much!!!

You don't want the barrel coming into contact with the stock as it heats up or during recoil. When I float a barrel, I remove just enough material so that I can't force the two to touch.

Guard screws on the 70, I tighten the front and rear screws fairly tight by hand and the middle screw just snug.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote