New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno model 21 bottom metal question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone know of a replacement bottom metal for these rifles that would fit in the factory wood stock dimensions if I replace the double triggers with a single trigger? Or less ideal but also possibly acceptable: can you switch out the Brno double triggers with a single trigger and continue to use the Brno factory bottom metal? thx

Posts: 232 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S. Texan:
anyone know of a replacement bottom metal for these rifles that would fit in the factory wood stock dimensions if I replace the double triggers with a single trigger? Or less ideal but also possibly acceptable: can you switch out the Brno double triggers with a single trigger and continue to use the Brno factory bottom metal? thx

You can alter the original unit for use with a single trigger.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's the front trigger that gives you fits, a good smith can give you a nice crisp 4 pound pull...maybe a litle less.

At least that way, you would change nothing cosmetically

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I doubt any custom or aftermarket one would be a drop in fit on a Brno 21 or 22.

And good luck finding a original single trigger bottom for either of these. They were offered when these were sold new, yet are super rare.

A tried and true Timney Sportsman (under $100.) trigger might fit fine through your original trigger guard slot with some minor hidden machine work on the inside to allow for the taller trigger body and you can have it tuned to under 2 pounds if you need a light trigger pull. Probably wouldn't hurt to save the double trigger as-is if you ever decide to sell it as original. No need to mess with the long slot.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can cut out the trigger slot and install a standard mod. 98 Timney or whatever, Ive done it with a file. and on a drill press..

Im not sure but I may have a mod. 21 bottom metal sans the trigger guard but you have that..I'll have to dig through all manor of parts boxes, so if your interested email me. BTW it may be already modified for a single trigger..
Ray

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd remove the original D-Set trigger assembly and mill a slot in the Brno trigger guard to allow a for convention trigger lever such as a Blackburn, Canjar if you can find one, Timney and Recknagel.

There is "no drop" in replacement bottom metal to slap into a 21 or 22

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A pictorial follow up to what D'Arcy said. The trigger is a vintage Jaeger.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack the thread, but will a std mauser bottom metal such as the 1909 work. I realize the inlet is different on the factory stock but I have one that I will be restocking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bt8897:
Not to hijack the thread, but will a std mauser bottom metal such as the 1909 work. I realize the inlet is different on the factory stock but I have one that I will be restocking.

Take a look at the photos of a custom BRNO
21 Mauser done up by James Anderson on Pages 104 and 105 of the 2016 Gun Digest. James utilized a 1909 Floor Metal on that Rifle, and it is superb!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's how a friend of mine in Germany modified his 21H. I'm not sure how he did the bottom metal: I think it's probably a Recknagel.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As far as I know the 21 is just a small ring 98 mauser and any 98 bottom will fit.

Posts: 17166 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
As far as I know the 21 is just a small ring 98 mauser and any 98 bottom will fit.

My friend tells me the same thing. His bottom metal is from an Oberndorf commercial sporter. He also said that the rear of the trigger guard would need to be cut off to fill the gap in the stock left by removing the shotgun type trigger guard, and that the original trigger guard could be used, but it would involved milling out a portion of the trigger plate between the slots for the front and rear trigger and possibly welding shut those slots.

]

http://i1231.photobucket.com/a...csix.jpg[/IMG][/url]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The economical solution is as follows:

This is how the trigger plate looks after removing the small parts of the set trigger

Mill out an opening for the single trigger.

Use the flat spring screw to close the home in the trigger plate.

URL=https://s1231.photobucket.com/user/xausa/media/BRNO%2021H-22F/BRNO%2021H%20012_zpsnqp7fqcy.jpg.html] [/URL]

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
As D'Arcy said, you only have to mill a slot for the trigger, no other mods to the bottom metal are required.

I had a Brno 21 with a Timney trigger and traded the setup to a customer who wanted to replace his double trigger unit.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That stamped and welded bottom is straight outta WW2 from the 98Ks they made.

Posts: 17166 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Pictures added above where the link was.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know of super low detachable 1" scope rings for this action? I have one that already has a modified bolt handle, and the lowest rings that I have found for the dual dovetail receiver are the low ones from Alaska Arms. They seem to be very nicely made, but they do not look very low to me.

Thanks

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, because of the raised dovetails on the Brno 21-22, you can only go so low.
CZ550 mounts fit fine from CZ Parts. I have 3 sets here. But, I doubt any of them are any lower than the low ones from Alaska Arms or any other mfr for that matter.
https://www.cz-spare.parts/mounts

quote:
Originally posted by Redoak8:
Does anybody know of super low detachable 1" scope rings for this action? I have one that already has a modified bolt handle, and the lowest rings that I have found for the dual dovetail receiver are the low ones from Alaska Arms. They seem to be very nicely made, but they do not look very low to me.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a small ring 98 bottom metal, cut off the trigger bow, drilled a hole to mount the 21 trigger bow, added a Timney and done.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks to all for the contributions of collective knowledge. I appreciate the assistance

Posts: 232 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22F that came from the factory with a single trigger. Has a very small slot and isn't a modified double trigger bottom metal, Its just the same bottom metal with a smaller slot..Only one Ive seen but its also the only large ring Brno Ive seen..It was made just after the Germans left the Brno Plant and Brno went back in business..Its a rare and unusual gun, other than that is Brno all the way, even the markings on the wood..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle there Ray.
Are you certain it's a large ring 22F and not an early transitional ZG-47 large ring with Czechoslovakia on the sidewall with the M21-22 style safety shroud with the lever on the left like the other 21-22's? Brno did some goofy stuff.
A picture would be nice. Sure am curious. PM for my email if you need it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im sure, I have shown it to a number of experts all said the same thing, "damn its Brno mod.22F in every respect". Most were gun guild members I believe..Ive done a lot of research on this, but my best info came from Jack Belk and Tony Barnes. Check your PMs

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120