New
Find
Notify
Tools

British Columbia Gunsmith
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can any of you BCites recommend a gunsmith that is good at converting Mauser bolt handles to a low sporter style - by welding not bending. I will probably be using the Talley style

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Contact Ralf Martini in Cranbrook. 250-417-2926. He does very nice Mauser work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Daryl

I get up to FSJ a couple of times a year to visit family and hunt the Stewart Lk area. I understand there is a gunsmith at Backcountry and JR Custom Gunsmithing at Toms Lake. Would they also be worth considering? I like to deal in person with 'smiths if possible.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Is forum member Bill Leeper up around there?(my geography sucks) I'd give him a shout.

Canuck really likes his work.

Don

<Ross Spagrud>
posted
Both Ralf and Bill are super guys and superb
craftsmen. Can't go wrong with either.

Ross

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Ralf has moved on to another plateau of gun building but still finds the time to work on the guns of us peons. Darryl Marsh is now working out of the Backcountry store but I'm not sure how much he has done with Mauser bolt handles. I 've seen two Mausers of Ralf's; one was shortened and the other was lengthened. One would have been hard pressed to find the welds, etc.. I'm not knocking any other smith's work, but if you want one of the best give Ralf a call. Hey! Give me a shout next time you're up; I work at Backcountry sometimes. Have a good Christmas, all!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Bill Leeper built my .416 Taylor recently. I couldn't be happier with his work. If anyone would like specifics of my experience with Bill, I'd be more than willing to provide a recommendation. Just e-mail me.

Daryl, Is Ralf Martini working with Martin Hagen now?

The Kootenays sure has a deep well of gunsmithing talent!

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, I spoke with Ralf at the custom gun show in Reno last year and he was working with Hagn at that time. I did not quite understand the realtionship though. It wasnt an employee type. He is a talented smith. From all I have heard of Bill Leeper he is adept as well. Chris Weber is in this neck of the woods also.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Canuck, yes, Ralf and Martin have struck up a partnership of a sort. Seems to be happy in what he is now doing, but we surely miss him up here. I saw a take-down they did this fall. It had two bbls.; one in .243 and the other in .308. I was lucky enough to see Mr. Hagn in action at his bench. It's amazing how the lines dissappear when the action closes, etc.. One of you fellows with lots of bucks should convince Martin and Ralf to build a double on the Hagn action; I've seen a wooden model of it and it is truly a fine design. Some of the Mausers they do are exquisite; color case-hardened recievers, Circassian walnut, my, my, my...