Find
Notify
Tools

I can't seem to find the 9.3x62 I want
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
So I have a beautiful 1909 Argentine mauser rifle in 7.65x53 that I have been thinking about having worked over.
What costs should I expect to make it into a 9.3. I hate to mess with it but I don't shoot it often these days.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Not a gunsmith, but I suspect you may want to have the action gone over, the mag box would need to be made correct, the feed rails may need altering, perhaps a new safety, perhaps a new bolt handle, perhaps a reshaping of the bottom metal, and maybe consider having the action heat treated. Trigger job as well and then a new barrel. I think one could spend a few bucks but in the end quite a rifle would be at your disposal adequate for most tasks. Sounds like fun!
Alternatively a M70 may or may not save some work unless it must be a Mauser...

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you have an original condition 1909 do NOT alter it; they are worth money to collectors.
I have plenty of actions including 09s, if you want to build something. No need to butcher militaries any more.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I have a 9.3x62 barreled action by Nagel & Menz. Large ring small thread. Front ring dovetailed for German claw mount base, nothing on rear bridge. 24” Octagon to round barrel with integral rib. NECG safety, bottom metal, Timney trigger.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Husqvarna 640's in 9.3x62 on FN 98 actions. One is original the other has been drilled and tapped for a scope and a pad added. Turned down bolt handles and military style floor plates on both rifles. Might be easier and/or cheaper to start with one of these.

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Along those lines I have 2 pristine, undrilled Husky 146s. Smooth as rubies and love the barrel contours.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to be different... DPCD did a 9.3x57 for me. It's a turk action, octo'd the receiver and an octo barrel. The interesting thing, it has no trouble going 2300fps, and change with a 286 norma bullet. We did re-heat treat the receiver.
I think the long throat and seated bullets help close the gap with the 9.3x62 version.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna 9.3 rifles are very inexpensive at the moment. I took a 146 that was x57 and punched it out to x62.

It isn't the prettiest, but it wasn't meant to be.

If you find a nice 46 in 9.3x57, I wouldn't pass it up. I managed to snag a nearly NOS one for a song and it is a sweet little rifle. Hornady dies are very reasonable, and with care you can size out 8mm brass.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
09 that was already mucked with. dpcd did all the metal, Doug barrel. I popped it in a Boyds stock.

Priv 286

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Husky M146 in 9.3x57 that I was getting over 2400 fps. with IMR 4064 and 286 gr. Prvi's using reformed R-P 8x57 brass. Stopped using the brass after 10 reloadings when I had dpcd rechamber to the x62 for me. He did a great job! I'm getting great groups using MR2000 with the Prvi's and 270 gr. Speers using reformed FC .30-06 brass.

Thanx! Tom

Hip

Posts: 1893 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I like the 9.3 x 62 (and 57 too), and you guys really do a great job shooting them.
And Hip is actually using 30-06 brass, which he was warned would kill him by some AR posters.
He survived, and so did the rifle.
Possibly the most unique 9.3 is the 9.3x62 Mosin I did; killed a few moose and stuff.
Best to use a Mauser though; less work.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have a 9.3x62 on a Remington 721 that I had rebored so I didn't have to do a barrel and stock change but I want one built on a mauser.
I love the round and have all the components and dies.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Rich
That is a nice rifle.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Looks like Rich has:
98 Action of some ilk
Military bottom
Douglas barrel
Wisner 3 position Model 70 safety
Timney trigger
Oberndorf handle
NECG 3 leaf rear
Talley sling band
NECG band front
Boyds Classic stock walnut.
Still needs bluing.
I forgot about this one but I do a lot of them like this.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the costs add up quickly on a nice project like that.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Still a fraction of a full custom with a hand made stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easier to find an already altered M98 or commercial and go from there. Ragged Hole barrels has some #4 9.3 blanks on sale. Buy the parts here and there as you find them and have it put together. Or find one you can rebore

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I say it is not easier, nor less expensive than doing it all at once. If you use quality barrels and parts. Maybe using lower end parts or used eBay junk.
NECG/Recknagel sights are $300 no matter where you get them.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Just by a Husky 46 and have in punched out to 62 and be done with it.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Mike
I would but I haven't found one...I still regret not buying that .338/06 from you. Ole Ray sold it long ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d recommend the 146 over the 46 personally, but I do enjoy the 46!

Simpsons has a plethora of very nice 46’s. They are on the high end of pricing as always, but there are a lot to pick from.

If you DO pick up a 46 and intend to scope it, please consider buying an Ed LaPour 3-position safety for it!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a scoped 46 for sale, but I won't rechamber them; remember those are the 96 Swede actions. They never made 98s; they used FNs, which are the 146 mentioned above.
Not that they aren't very strong....

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had a 1909 handy and needed a 9.3x62 I would do it in a heart beat, a properly done custom 1909 is worth much more than a few milsurps OMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
My 9.3x62 was built using a current Dumoulin large ring mauser action. They are not hard to find and they have good solid steel bottom metal with a hinged floorplate, as well as a Model 70 type safety. The smith I used machined the action for Talley rings and fine tuned/trued the action and trigger. I had a decent barrel put on and NECG sights installed. The stock is a very nice composite by Wildcat out of Alberta and the barreled action was cerakoted. I stuck a Leupold VX-R 2-7X on it with Talley QD rings. It shoots like a hot damn and I am into it for a lot less than I expected to be when the project started. Might be an option to use one of the Dumoulin actions if you would rather hang onto the 1909 as is.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
But the 1909 is soooo choice.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You can't find it becuase I have the coolest 9,3 in the world Big Grin

Custom Mosin that has been lightened with a 21" bbl, shoots Barnes 250s at 2425 fps into sub 3/4 moa. Weghs in at 7lbs 11 ounces with scope

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's your budget? I can build you one

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got a project to redo a 30-06 to a 9.3 x 62.

Customer found one of the FN sporter rifles from the 60's.
Stock is in great shape
Will put a 3 position safety and Timney trigger on it.
Redo the guard bow to look and act like a 1909 bow, and add a straddle floorplate.
Make Talley type bases to fit the receiver.
Re-contour a Douglas barrel to match the old barrel contour and that then matches the factory stock.
Not certain as to what open sights will be on it yet

Should finish out to be a great hunting rifle.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pointers gentlemen but for now I am going to have to put this acquisition on hold to help out an elderly family member.
Scott

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Here's a factory 46 (46AN) in 9,3x62.

Second from top:

Above it, another 9,3x62, a 640.
Below that a 46A in 9,3x57
And at the bottom, a 146 in 9,3x57

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Z1r
Excellent examples!