Find
Notify
Tools

A question for Model 70 users & gunsmiths
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All-

I have a Montana 1999 action, which is by most accounts pretty darn similar to the Model 70 (hence the post title) which I feel suffers from a "problem".

The issue is that the bolt closes with a decided roughness (and increased effort) and with an audible sound (sort of a clicking or even slight clunking) when the safety is in the fire position. When the safety is in the middle or rear position the bolt closing is completly smooth and without any sound.

So, I have only had one Model 70 before, and I do not recall this happening, but to be truthful I am not sure. My question is whether or not there should be a fairly dramatic (in my opinion) difference in the smoothness and quality of the bolt operation dependant on the safety position?

Any input or advice would be very gratefully appreciated!!

Regards,

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is likely associated with roughness on the closing cam surfaces of the lugs and seats. With the safety in the middle position you have removed any influence of the striker spring so the closing cam is unnoticed. I polished the surfaces of the one I have here and it was greatly improved in this area. Another possible problem is that the front edge of the cocking piece is left sharp on the sides and this can cause a problem if it doesn't line up perfectly with the groove in the receiver. These are easy enough fixes and such shortcomings will hopefully be addressed as production continues. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
BlackBart

First off if you can lift the bolt in the rear (safe) position something is wrong.
Some resistance is to be expected in the forwarded position though. I will say that of the m70's I have owned or fooled with I have not noticed an audible click. This may be something, like you I have never noticed. Like wise the only Montana action I have ever had an experience with was much like the m70's. A little more resistance when closing the bolt on the fire position. But nothing too loud or harsh or unexpected.
Maybe Dan from MRC will come across this post with some assistance.

God Bless
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I too have noticed that my MRC action works a little harder than my M-70 actions. But then I didn't pay $1,900 as the price of a Dakota action. I fully expect some honing of camming surfaces will be required as will honing of the action slides....I'm really not at all concerned about this.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill-

Thanks for the reply!

My action has a barrel on it, so I cannot see the locking lug seats in the receiver. I am assuming that to polish these up the barrel would obviously have to be removed, right? The lugs themselves look to be pretty well polished in this area, but then again, I am not an expert in this area. The cocking piece looks pretty good, so I am thinking that my action may need some "attention" in this area.

Bluetick -- Yes, the bolt is locked with the safety to the rear, I must have mistyped on that one.

Vapo-- I just want this to be as good as it can be (within reason, ie $$), and I do not feel as though I am there yet with this.

Regards,

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
You want to polish, not the locking lug seats, but the approach angle on the lugs themselves. Just enough to remove the sharp corner. The small ID of the inner collar makes accessing the seats difficult in any case. Lapping would be beneficial but care has to be taken to not increase headspace excessively. Again, it's best to remove the barrel to do this. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just received my 1999 action and noticed the same thing. What I discovered was that not all the cocking action takes place on lifting the bolt. As you are closing the bolt watch the striker and notice that it will extend further out the back of the shroud as you close the bolt. This means that you are also having to overcome some portion of the firing pin spring pressure upon closing, thus adding to the needed effort.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It occurs to me that maybe the plunger that locks into the rear of the bolt may be dragging? Take the bolt sleeve off and see if there's gouging or marking at the rear of the bolt. Did I understand you correctly that the bolt will open with the safety all the way back? seeya Duane

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill-

I may have phrased it incorrectly, however, I completely understood what you meant. I would never have attempted to whittle away at the actual lug bearing surface, just the "camming" surface.

So I went and looked at them under a magnifying glass, and they were quite rough, so I polished them up using a 400 grit stone. Went pretty gentle and conservative on them.

It did not make much difference at all. When I unscrew the entire striker assy. from the bolt and cycle the "bare" bolt it does seem a bit smoother though.

I then started to try and see if I could discern what/where the problem is by listening and feeling, and I ma pretty sure it has something to do with the shroud/safety/cocking piece. There is a definite hang up in there just after the bolt starts to close. I would say something like maybe after 5 to 10 degrees of rotation toward closed. It really feels as though there is a mechanical "blockage" of rotation at that point. Closing effort goes way up with no bolt movement at that point, then there is a sudden "release" and almost a snapping sound as the bolt once again rotates and goes into fully locked position.

I seem to recall that in a post long ago, Dan or Rod had indicated that they were experiencing a "rough closing" problem which was attributed to the striker spring riding up out of position, or some such thing. I am wondering if this may be related to what I am experiencing.

Anyway, i truly appreciated your input. Maybe I should just send it to you. Do you take on problem children like these?

Bob