Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens 200 Stock removal
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a stevens 200 22-250 recently but the trigger is terribly heavy. i've heard it is adjustable easily after the stock has been removed. My problem is that I can only see 1 bolt at the bottem of the stock so I'm not exactly sure how to remove it. Can someone tell me what I have to do to remove the stock. Also is it easily done or should I just take it to a professional

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
The other two screws will be the ones on the trigger guard.

It isn't that hard to remove. Adjusting the trigger is a bit tricky, and you might be better off getting a replacement one.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Isn't it just a screw that you loosen or tigthen to adjust the trigger. Also would a replacement be easier to install myself?

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Roberts:
Isn't it just a screw that you loosen or tigthen to adjust the trigger. Also would a replacement be easier to install myself?

Yes it is just a screw, but you have to be careful. To loose and the sear will not seat right, and gun will fire when the bolt closes. I had two pre AccuTrigger Savages, and it took a bit of goofing around to get the trigger set right. You can do it, but be very careful and make sure that the gun will function correctly. The trigger will not adjust down all that far, but I managed to get mine to just over 3 lbs.

I honestly don't know how hard it is to replace a trigger. The only time I thought about doing it, I was going to have a smith install it. A number guys have done it themselves, but I just didn't want to mess with it.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I've been shopping for replacement triggers and in my searching I've fount Savage triggers to be about the most expensive aftermarket triggers out there.

I may be wrong, but the aftermarket Savage triggers I saw were over $100.

Thats, alot of $ to add to a Stevens 200 - it should be cheaper to have a smith adjust it.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave: This link has a couple of articles that address adjusting non-AccuTrigger Savages:

http://www.clcweb.net/Shooting/Rifle_Trigger_Adjustment...ger_adjustments.html

Good Luck!

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote