New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gre-Tan Rifles
 Login/Join

<Matt_G>
posted
Anyone here ever have any work done by them?
I am thinking of taking a rifle to him and was wondering if anyone had any dealings with him, and thier experience.
He has a web site here.
http://www.gtrtooling.com

Any info appreciated.

P.S.
I also posted this in the Benchrest forum.
Matt

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

<Jordan>
posted
Matt:

Greg has built 'bout a dozen rifles for me, several for my brother and several for acquaintences. I am probably not a very good "unbiased" or objective reference for Greg 'cause I think he is just fantastic and everything a guy could ask for in an accuracy 'smith. He is a joy to do business with as well. He is conscientious to a fault and would sooner walk a bet of hot coals than let something get out the shop door not done right. I like the fact that he is professionally trained as a machinist and uses first rate equipment (heavy industrial lathes, CNC lathe, etc.) He has a really novel accurizing jig which he developed (Precision Shooting did an article about it two or three months ago)and is always coming up with novel ideas and tooling. Bear in mind: Greg does not do woodworking or blueing.

The only potential downside right now is that Greg is backed up about 8-9 months---unless he can find himself a secretary to answer the phone and package up rifles. I suggest you give Greg a call and talk to him about his services.

Jordan

<1GEEJAY>
posted
A close friend,has had several rifles built by Gregg.Fine gunsmithing,usually on time,except when he is hunting.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<Matt_G>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. It's appreciated.
I will call him and see how soon he could get the rifle back to me. At least I wouldn't have to ship the gun. He is located only 30 miles from my house
Let me explain what the problem is and maybe this is something I can fix myself.

I have a Rem 700 Classic in 7-08. I shot it for the first time yesterday. For loads I started at the min. in the book, loading 5 rounds of each powder charge going up in .5gr increments until I got to mid range then loaded 10 rounds at each charge. (5@ 37.5 etc., then 10@39.0 etc.)
This was IMR 4064 with Federal GM Match primers and Sierra 150gr. MatchKings. I also did the same with Sierra 168.gr Matchkings.

Now the problem is, while a couple of powder charges showed great promise the POI kept changing. For instance, with 40.5 grs. of 4064 and the 150gr. bullet first 2 shots are seperated by 2 inches. The next 4 shots went into a .187" group! Then the last 4 shots are all over the place. Now I will throw out the first 2 as foulers owing to the fact I had just cleaned the barrel. But even throwing those out, the group size for the remaining 8 shots is just a touch under 2 inches.
My theory is the barrel needs to be free floated because as it heats up the POI is changing. I also need some trigger work done. The trigger is terrible on this rifle.
I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm not a gunsmith by any strech of the imagination, but perhaps with the proper instructions I could fix this myself. Maybe it needs to bedded??

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Greg is a fantastic guy and has given me great insite into any number of issues. However, you can fix this problem easily yourself. Call brownells and order a Shilen trigger to replace the factory one. There are only two pins holding it in place and with a nail you can drive them out and replace the trigger yourself. As for bedding get some accraglass gel from Brownells at the same time. Look at a book or two on glass bedding and bed the recoil lug, tang and first inch of your barrel. Freefloat the rest. I'ts simple and easy to do. If you screw it up and you won't then take it to Greg. Good luck-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote