New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this too far gone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This action is for sale, but the rear bridge has me skittish. All the white stuff is lithium grease?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No problem here; use the action. You don't need the rear bridge at all; look at some of the successful rifles that do not have a rear bridge, like Mannlichers, Russian Mosin Nagants, and others. The white stuff looks like it is hard and flaking off. Bedding compound? Or grease.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you want to do with it.

As dpcd says, it is still useable, but it may or may not cost a lot to get it where you want it.

The rear bridge can be reworked. The rest looks decent. Check the front ring carefully for cracks.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Structurally it is fine. You may look at putting a flip up peep sight in the void.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A one piece Leupold/Redfield base only needs a small surface on the bridge for a screw.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Looks like it is already drilled and tapped for a one piece mount. Are those 8-40s?

Is that milled so that it is level with the front, seems like too much, but I am having a problem remembering what any I have ad look like

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That hole is for the original sight; Leupold bases are 6-48 and the bridge will need to be rounded. And the hole will be closer to the front of the bridge. That receiver needs, obviously, more work to make it look good.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. need to see that. Fortunately, new bolts are cheap. Hopefully, it was not actually "blown" off. That would be a bad thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next question is it worth over $300? That's what it'll cost me after transfer fees. It's been worked to feed .375 H&H, so feed rails and bolt face opened. The add didn't say much of anything else.

I really don't have a use for this, nothing i hunt needs a .375 H&H. I just thought it might be cool since I have a 1917 in .300 H&H already to make the .375. What would be a rough estimate of price for reworking the rear bridge and straightening the trigger guard?

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
cock on closing... it will cost $$ to get that changed too... machine work to "pretty" up the action is more $$... you can buy a Winchester push feed action, already with a magnum boltface for less $$ and have something... in addition to the $300, it needs another $300 at least to get it done right... looks junky to me...and I like enfields... ive got a couple extra ones that need about the same amount of work...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with cock on closing but I have to say that the price is way too expensive, US $300 on your doorstep, IMHO.

I've also found that, usually, if there is work done one place there is also work doen another place that maybe is not helpful to you.

I'd rather pay a little more and get a Model 1917 action that is "as factory" and do my own work than get something that may have been cut about way beyond what you are hoping to do yourself.

Be patient and another will come along I am certain.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One can buy a very nice factory rifle in any standard caliber you want.

For a lot less time and expensive then of well have bringing this action back to life.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with cock on closing; I have never understood the American dislike for it. Anyway, as you know, projects like this are only viable if you do the work yourself. Paying top "name" gunsmith prices quickly puts you in the price range where it ain't worth it to most people. Do-it-yourselfers? Yes.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
can anyone surmise WHY the duckpond ended up milled out like that? I have a Winchester 1917 that has the ears filed off flat and (without looking) can't imagine how or why this was done.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is it is a remmy so no pond to begin with.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Funny thing is it is a remmy so no pond to begin with.
Don

I was wondering about that... so what do you think happened here?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote