New
Find
Notify
Tools

Split bridge re-barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many gunsmiths out there will re-barrel rifles such as a Portuguese Vergueiro or M-S with a split rear bridge?

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the big deal? The only time I ever had a problem was with a Norwegian Krag, and even then the only real stumbling block was the !@#$%^&* left-hand threads.

Any competent smith should be able to rebarrel your split-bridge rifle with no difficulty.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I don't know what the deal is with such work. I have had a few tell me that they will not do it. They haven't provided a reason why just the statement that they do no re-barrel split bridge receivers.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Port 1904 is a simple small thread rebarrel, it has the inner Mauser type C ring.

HOWEVER some of the M-S actions, is OMG, because the rear of the barrel has a angled extension on it that is the retraction cam for the bolt.

J Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
What's the big deal? The only time I ever had a problem was with a Norwegian Krag, and even then the only real stumbling block was the !@#$%^&* left-hand threads.

Any competent smith should be able to rebarrel your split-bridge rifle with no difficulty.
Regards, Joe

any competent smith should be able to do left-hand threads.....

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have done several split bridges from Commission 88s to Lee Enfields, to MSs. No big deal other than the fact that the receivers don't have flat bottoms like Mausers do.

Posts: 17266 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chiefen:
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:

Regards, Joe

any competent smith should be able to do left-hand threads.....
I can do 'em but they're somewhat of a PITA since I don't have a reversing switch on my lathe. I don't like to hafta cut a relief groove next to the shoulder, just a personal foible.

The only REAL difficulty I can imagine is achieving a good way to hold the receiver with no chance of twisting it. With no forward recoil lug, the twisting chances are multiplied greatly unless the smith uses a wrench bearing on/in the forward receiver ring's lug side channels. Perhaps this might be the source of their difficulty?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote