THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone ever necked a 300 Wthby down to .257?
 Login/Join

<Orphanedcowboy>
posted
My taxidermist was telling me he would like one, and I was thinking of having one built for him, has anyone ever under took such an endeavor? How did it shoot, what action, he was preferring a 700, I have the action, just need some details or a recommendation on who to have do it, Thanks Orphan

posted Hide Post
Probably.

Except for the venturi shoulders, it would be the ballistic twin of the .257STW (7mmSTW necked down to .257).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
287/300 is amazing but 6.5/300 is more multipurpose

because in 6.5 mm cal you have match bullet in 107 gr that give you hight BC and velocity over 3600 fps , jusr a lazer beam .

for regular hunting you have Balistic tip ( a bit too much blaster in 6.5/300 and partition 120/140 gr

For extra long range 142 MK from sierra are ok up to 1500 yards

that not too bad .

and reload dies are semi custom in 6.5/300 Wea so no pain in your money income when you order dies , reamer are available in most long range gunsmith ( PAC NOR Oregon for example )

enjoy 6.5 cal

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Weatherby already do that and call it the .257 Weatherby Magnum.....seems to me that was his favorite caliber.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill-
The 257Wby is made on a shortened 300Wby case, not a full length model. Same as the 270 and 7mm Weatherbys, all short magnums.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ought to be one barrel-eating dude! [Roll Eyes] This would be so ridiculously over-bore capacity that not even Weatherby would do it. An idea whose time has NOT come. (And never will)

[ 08-21-2002, 01:08: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
The OAL Case Length for the .300Weatherby is 2.825"
The OAL Case Length for the .257Weatherby is 2.549"

Pecos45 called it right. It escapes me as to why you would need the additional 0.276" case capacity. The .257 Weatherby already gets 3400fps with a 120gr bullet and 3600fps with a 100gr. The extra case capacity might buy you another 100fps but with a higher charge weight and certainly higher pressure. The Law of Diminishing returns applies to over bore cartridges. There is a point at which you simply cannot push bullets any faster without substantially increasing chamber pressures.

The other consideration is how often you wish to re-barrel your gun. If 1000 rounds or less seems like a bargain, then the .257-300 Weatherby is doable.

If you are looking for a LR target/varmint type of cartridge, you should consider the 6.5-284. You get better a BC from a 140gr bullet, you achieve plenty of velocity, and lots of ft/lbs of down range energy without burning out your barrel. Just a thought....

[ 08-21-2002, 01:10: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Layne Simpson (the ST writer) made up a 257 on 8mm Rem mag brass. As mentioned, except for the shoulders and freebore, it would be very close to what you've mentioned. Overbore it would be, and you would have to use the slowest powders, but it would be a VERY flat shooting cartridge. A ruger #1 with a 30" barrel or something akin would be just about right for a project like this. You'll need lot's of barrel to make use of the case capacity. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got a .257STW project in the works. I've got the 27" Shilen barrel, and am going to have the Rem. 700 action trued and the bolt lugs lapped before installing it.

I want to use it with the heavier bullets (100gr. and up), not the lighter ones, so I think it might not be so overbore after all.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've got a 257x300wsm, that wont BURN THE BARREL OUT in 5 shots. It's the same as a 257 weatherby for ballistics.
jeffe

Posts: 39702 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Orphanedcowboy>
posted
Thanks Guys, I find a more knowledgable group here in this forum, than others I have visited. I want to do this project for my taxidermist, not for me. I was talking to him one day about hunting and antelope, sheep, and thats when it came up, I suspect for sheep. I found a model 700 action in 7mm Rem Mag, for the donor, just need a competent smith now, I was reading a Speedy Gonzales, I was thinking of driving to his shop and talking to him about it, he is just a few mile from my house. I do appreciate the help and advice guys, Orphan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger #1 in .257 Wby. I've been shooting for many years. The barrel has lasted really quite a long time. It is now getting a new Lilja SS barrel which I hope will be a good addition. I've been shooting this caliber for over 30 years and have nothing but good things to say about it. Sure, I have other guns in different calibers from .17 Rem. to 6MM which is the largest and I like them all for different reasons, but if you want to kill something in extra ordinary fashion the .257 Wby. is a hard act to follow. Just be a little conservative in your handloads. I don't believe your idea is a good one especially since you have tried and true calibers to pick from. Good luck.

Posts: 44 | Location: Deer Park, WA. 99006 | Registered: 23 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear more about your 257x300 WSM.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
Orphan,

I have not found much on the .257/300 Wthy. But this 6.5mm article is interesting.

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/6,5mm/264Thor.html