Find
Notify
Tools

stock fit question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

When I shoulder my LH CZ 550 375 with my eyes closed and do not alter my head or neck and then open my eyes I am above the bore and to the right - high and right.

can someone help me interpret this? i had a gunmaker tell me once that when a stock is properly built, the shooter can mount the rifle with eyes closed as above and when the eyes are opened the head and neck would not need to be moved yet the rifle would be lined up. he said this was a large part of the key to instinctive shooting.

thanks for the help.

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Where in relation to the stock is your cheek? If your chin is resting on the stock you need to modify something (or think European vs. American). For me that proper "cheek-weld" thing made lots of difference. Basically you might research where other make and model rifles line up for your particular body conformation. Good luck!

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) No amount of fit can compensate for bad mounting or inconsistent mounting.

2) Shotgun fit is NOT the same as rifle fit. Anybody who says it is does not know the subject.

3) A shotgun should fit to put 60% of the pattern above the target. A rifle should fit to put 50% above and 50% below. In other words "dead on".

4) So a rifle will have more bend (or drop if you wish to call it that instead) in the stock AND a shorter length of pull.

5) How do you want to use you rifle? With iron sights or with a 'scope. You can't have one single fit that will put your eye right for both!

6) On a shotgun your eye is the backsight so it MUST align with the barrel and the foresight. It's that which is critical.

7) On a rifle the bolt must be workable with the shooter in firing position. So that a reload can be made without lowering the aim or taking the eye from the sight. It's that which is critical.

So I'd try it with a 'scope if you use one and not worry. My shotguns have always been fitted to me with bespoke (or custom if you call it that) stocks. My rifles? Apart from maybe a pad (or on the Enfield a longer stock) to adjust the length of pull never.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bnagel: when I mount the gun the comb naturally rests against the jaw and I have to squish my head down to get the iron sights.

enfield: i would like to be able to use both scope and irons.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
jeff:

You haven't said which conformation the CZ stock has. Sounds like it is not the "classic" / straight or 'American" offering.

If yours has more the Lux or otherwise Monte Carlo conformation it sounds like a straight stock would be the ticket.

American style mounting places the cheek on the stock, not just your jaw. Think you may need a proper fitting session with a stock maker. Barring that if the fit works well enough for a scope mounted at the height that feels right (and that allows the bolt to be operated without ristriction -- medium rings for CZs) dpn't sweat the iron sights. You can practice with them for "just in case you need them" but let your eyes do the centering for you. What is most important is the cheek-weld part.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bnagel,

it's an american style stock and yeah it hits my jaw. i'm gonna get the mounts done in thenext montha nd then i'll go to a stocker.