Find
Notify
Tools

Jewell Trigger on Model 70?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
Has anyone tried a Jewell trigger on a Model 70 for hunting? I've thought of trying this on one of my Model 70s.

I will say that the factory trigger on my 375HH Model 70 is very crisp after having it worked over by Mark Penrod. Is a Jewell that much better? Will I notice the difference on a hunting rifle? Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Old No7>
posted
"Has anyone tried a Jewell trigger on a Model 70 for hunting?"

Hi Jeff:

Seeing that no one else has replied yet, I'll respond by suggesting a couple of other options. Maybe this will prompt some other replies...

You could get a Timney trigger. For serious target or bench rest work, all the guys I know use the Jewell's -- but they are not cheap! For hunting purposes, which is what you said, Timney makes an excellent trigger for the Model 70. I put one on my 6.5x55 Classic Featherweight and did the installation by myself. It's set at 3 pounds, has no creep at all and breaks clean like a glass rod. It's a great improvement over the stock factory trigger.

Yet another option is a trip to a good gunsmith who is known for good work on factory triggers. I've read the Model 70 is a classic trigger design and it lends itself well to improvement by someone who knows what they're doing.

I went with a Timney for the fun and satisfaction of doing it myself, but I did have a local smith check it when I was done. He didn't offer me a job in his shop, but he did give it an A+ rating.

Check out Sinclair International's website,I think that's where I found the best price for the Timney Trigger when I bought it. And there's lots more in their catalog to wish (or drool) over too. I believe their site is at www.sinclairintl.com Good luck.

Old No7

<allen day>
posted
For a hunting rifle, I always recommend that the original Model 70 trigger remain in place. Just have it worked over by a gunsmith who really understands the M70 trigger/safety system and call it good.

I tried a Jewel in a custom M70 in .30-06 (gunmaker's recommendation), and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It just didn't feel right (too "benchrest", I guess), and I couldn't get rid of its creep, which I won't tolerate. That rifle now has it's original trigger assembly back, but I had it re-installed by a talent local riflesmith who knows more about the M70 than the guy who customized the rifle and installed the Jewel trigger in the first place. That reworked factory trigger is just as crisp as ice, breaks cleanly and consistently every time, plus it's safe and feels like a real piece of rugged equipment - not a delicate, overly-complicated mechanism. The Model 70 trigger is a BETTER design that the jewel in every way. All you need is the right riflesmith to work it over.

AD

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks Allen & #7. I've been pondering the same subject. Appreciate both your inputs. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote