New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 Mk. II scope mount heights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Besides the fact that a set of Ruger rings includes two different height rings, all the manufacturer and dealer sites use different terminology and incompatible measuring systems, so here goes:

I want to mount a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 on a Ruger 77 Mk II long action.

What's the lowest mount I can use? I have the Ruger set that came with the rifle (1 medium for the front, 1 high for the rear). Can I use the next lower set of Rugers? Or would Leupolds get lower?

Thanks,

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The factory Ruger rings sit very high off of the action and barrel, often enough to clear a 50mm (lens) objective bell. For your 36mm (lens) bell, the lowest set of Ruger rings available will still give more clearance than needed (and more than I like). I believe that the Leupolds are a bit lower, but you'll just have to try them to see.

The Ruger stock does not have an especially high comb, so you need that scope as low as possible.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Take the Ruger rings and throw them in the trash, then buy a set of Burris Signature rings. I have a set of Weaver adaptors that you can put on Rugers. They are made by Burris, then you can throw a set of low Weaver type rings on your gun. I have a set that i bought that i am not going to use. Even if you don't want them, you should check them out on their website or catalog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I rather like the Ruger scope mounting system, and think that the "low" Ruger rings would be fine for that scope, but if you want to use Burris Signature Rings, they do make them specifically for the Rugger M77, and you don't need the weaver base adapter. I have a set on my M77VT, and the only thing that I don't like about them is that they will not hold zero if you remove/replace the mounted scope, as there are two angled, opposing screws in each base that clamps onto the dovetail. The only reason I used these Burris rings was to be able to use the offset inserts.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
The best part about the Burris rings is you can adjust windage in the rings unlike the other rings available for the Rugers. I bought the adaptor bases cause i was going to use some Millet rings, but now i am going to just get the Signature rings instead.

<Ranger Dave>
posted
My MKII wears a Bushnell Scopecheif 3-9x40. I had to cut the scope cap because there is very little clearance between the objective lens and the barrel. This is using the factory Ruger rings which are good IMO. I can remove the scope from the rifle and put it back on and the scope is "on the money".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all -- will try the next lower Ruger rings first, not least because they're stainless. I had about .25" clearance at both the bolt handle and the objective bell so they should squeak by if I'm reading the specs in the Brownell's catalog right.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote