New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser action for 257 Roberts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to build a 257 Roberts by re-barreling a Mauser action from 7x57. The question is, of all the pelentiful, inexpensive Mauser rifles available, which would be most desireable for this conversion?
Action is only real consideration, the rest is to be removed. Thanks for suggestions!

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as inexpensive I would use a 1910 Mexican. It is a short action small ring. very trim, but hardly any of them are what you would call pentiful anymore. Not long ago there were lots of them for $40.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a 257 built now on a 1936 Mexican Mauser. The 'smith that is building it built one for himself also on a 1936 Mexican and it is lovely. I can't find any complete 1910s or 1936s now but SARCO has some pretty trashy 1910s without bolts, two for $50.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a 257 AI on a Turk several years ago and it works very well.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Alvah:
I would like to build a 257 Roberts by re-barreling a Mauser action from 7x57. The question is, of all the pelentiful, inexpensive Mauser rifles available, which would be most desireable for this conversion?
Action is only real consideration, the rest is to be removed. Thanks for suggestions!

By the time you have done all the mods necessary to get the Mauser action into the state you want for a custom rifle, you'll have spent more on the Mauser action than if you had bought a newer product (e.g. Montana Rifle Company, M1999, short action - on offer at the moment for about $350, see entry in this forum - http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004886 ). I like Mausers, they have a great aura and history. But they also have drawbacks such as slow lock time, crappy triggers, safeties incompatible with scope mounting etc etc. When customizing one, you normally end up doing a ton of mods to them.

Of all the Mausers, the Oberndorfs and the M1909 Argentine have good reputations. The M1909 has the added advantage of a hinged floorplate.

Have fun with your project.

- mike

[ 01-15-2003, 15:50: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, the 1936 is a wonderful action to use for this round. I particularly like the springfield cocking piece. I wish I had a drawer full of these. I do have a bunch of 1909 Argentines and they are fine actions but not what I would use to build a trim .257 Roberts ( I have 3 of them).

mho, any military action can cost money to sporterize. The offer from Montana Rifle Co is a good one, but bear in mind they are offering at a greatly reduced price to generate some seed money. If things go as planned you have a good deal but not something that I would use to make a cost comparison. If it goes sour you could end up with a receipt. Not saying the will happen but you are comparing apples to grapefruit. A mauser action can cost you far more than the going price of a factory action. They do have to be modified and that is what gets rid of those things you dont like. Lock time? This is a hunting rifle. Modifications to a mauser usually involve surface grinding but not necessary, drill and tap for scope bases, new trigger, bottom metal change if you want to go there, bent bolt or weld on a new one, different safety. Not exactly a ton and produces a nice looking action that does not look like every other off the shelf thing. It is just a matter of choices, not much more. If I had a choice in an action for this round it would be a G33/40 and it would have to have things to do to it before it was used and would cost what a Model 70 pre 64 goes for. If you want cheap we can all buy Savages. Nah!

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox, I like your posting - it seems well considered, even though you happen to disagree with me. [Smile]

I see your point about comparing the "regular" price of a customized Mauser to a special for the M1999. Without wanting to get into a $ for $ comparison of a Mauser project to a project incorporating a "modern" action, the message I wanted to convey was: "what may look like a cheap road (because of the low entry costs - lovely Mauser actions for less than $200), may not end up so cheap when you are finally done".

I have spent a lifetime (or at least the better part of it [Smile] ) loving Mauser rifles and actions. They are wonderful, classic actions. Something built 100 years ago and which is still standing up today - what more can you want??

But, with all my love for the Mausers, I also admit to their down sides. E.g. with my DWM M1909 Argentine conversion, even after all the mods have been paid for, it still to some extent does not compare to a modern action. Case in point: when you fire a Mauser, there is more mass (probably the correct expression in this case??) which is set into motion, than with a modern Mauser clone like a M70, a Sako or what have you. More mass moving -> more difficult to shoot accurately from the bench - or maybe it is only my inadequate technique coming into play?? Not that this is a great problem in a hunting situation, but it does get on your nerves when you have to sight in the *&^%$#@! thing [Smile]

Anyway, I really like Mausers, and I don't want to stop other people going the road that I have enjoyed going. But I'll also chip in my experience along the road - take it or leave it.

Btw, if I could find a G33/40 (or an Oberndorf, for that matter), I'd definitely convert that into a custom rifle myself - regardless of the costs. Unfortunately, they are as scarce as hen's teeth... But, if it was to be done - what better cartridge than the .257 Roberts - which is what my M1909 conversion is chambered for [Smile]

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho, good points and well made. Once the dust settles on a custom mauser, it is common to have $500 in the action. I do like them as well and I have equipment to make the cost to me just labor so it is an easier decision on my part.

It is a good idea as you mentioned to point out to someone who is looking for a bargain to look elsewhere.