THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Pad install part II- how to plug holes? which screws?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pad install part II- how to plug holes? which screws?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

Uncle just got a Marlin 1895, gonna put a limbsaver on there for him. After that last little foray into it with the 375 I think I'll do much better. (the pad is my Christmas present to him). I think part of the reason my finish on the pad itself on the 375 isn't the smoothest is I am right at the limit it looks like on how far I can grind it down. (seemed like only the large grind to fit was right for my stock, maybe the medium would have worked).

I have a medium grind to fit this time for the marlin. I have three questions going into this though

1. I would like to remove the buttstock from the gun to make it easier to manuever, can somebody tell me how?

2. what method do you guys recommend for plugging the existing holes? (the bottom/toe hole is not the same as the new pad) or do you leave the hole there?

3. Why don't the limbsaver pads come with screws, should I use the ones from the marlin pad or is there a better/more appropriate alternative?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a screw at the rear of the receiver tang, visible from the top. Remove the screw. Grip the rifle barrel in a padded vise, grip the stock with one hand, hit that hand with your other hand and the stock will come off. Don't hit anything but your hand and don't use anything but you hand to do the hitting.

A piece of dowel rod will work to plug the extra hole. I figure out what size dowel I need, then drill the hole to be filled a few thousands smaller than the dowel. Make the dowel slightly longer than needed. Place some wood glue (you know, Elmers?) in the hole and tap the dowel in place with a mallet. Sand it flush with your belt or disc sander. If you think you need a 1" long dowel, cut the dowel to length, then place a piece of tape around the drill bit so that the hole will be slightly shorter than the dowel.

Whew! The process is much simplier than my explanation.

Limbsavers now come with screws. They didn't before. I think it was a case of "Oh we forgot". Any #8 phillips head wood screw will work. I've even seen sheet rock screws used. I don't have one in hand, but I'd guess about 1.5" long. The Marlin screws should work if the head isn't too big

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the heads on the marlin pad are a bit big, and the stretched holes on the pad would bear witness to that. Big Grin

Thanks, I'll get on it tonight, try and get the dowell on the way home.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should use oval-head wood screws. The taper on the underside of the head keeps the pad from moving side-to-side. Brownells sells them and a long, narrow phillips bit for installing them. They will make your life easier.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the marlin screws are oval head actually. I use a small philips head screwdriver, without the little flare out that some have that takes the head a bit outside the shaft diameter. I put vaseline on it before putting in there, that has helped immensely with the soft pads.

I haven't gone out there to do this yet, the temps have been outrageous low and tonight is supposed to be in the 20's. I guess I'll have to see if my little propane shop heater can take the edge off while I work in my sweats. Big Grin

Red

-Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:

I haven't gone out there to do this yet, the temps have been outrageous low and tonight is supposed to be in the 20's.

Red

Gee Red, you don't know how good you have it. The high temp here this weekend will be in the mid 20's. That's not as bad as the freezing drizzle forecast. It'll probably put a hell of a crimp in traffic at the MVACA gun show.

Even oval head screws can be countersink style. Button head, flat on the back, is best for pads.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote