New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making .22 extractor question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have built a Gatling gun and need to remake my extractors. I tried 1018 as was suggested in the plans but I am not happy with the results even after case hardening them they wear too fast.
What alloy would be the best for making them? I thought either 4140 or o-1 flat ground stock. There is not much flex as they have a spring under them but the 1018 is just too soft even after case hardening, I can't get the hardening deep enough.
Any ideas?

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't say about the gattling gun firing pin,but I have have made flat pins for some 22s out of old trap springs and a old 1in sewer tape.They are hard as hell so grinding and sanding are all that will shape them.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
I have built a Gatling gun and need to remake my extractors. I tried 1018 as was suggested in the plans but I am not happy with the results even after case hardening them they wear too fast.
What alloy would be the best for making them? I thought either 4140 or o-1 flat ground stock. There is not much flex as they have a spring under them but the 1018 is just too soft even after case hardening, I can't get the hardening deep enough.
Any ideas?

Re-face the one you have using a TIG and a piece of piano wire and you will not likely wear it out.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I think a high carbon steel would work just fine for the application, get some 1085 and oil quench it. It will be hard, springy and wear resistant.

O-1 will work too, but its not needed. Same with 4140.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote