Find
Notify
Tools

M70 &M99 Machined Extractors For Sale!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted
Here's an opportunity for all you guys looking to switch over from the casted, factory extractors to fully CNC machined extractors from solid barstock. Unconditionally guaranteed against breakage in the field.

We will be offering CNC machined from solid steel or stainless extractors for the Winchester Model 70 Classic actions, as well as Montana Rifle Company's Model 1999.
These will be available in left and right hand, as well as standard and magnum configurations.

Finishes available will include:

Stainless in-the-white
Steel in-the-white

Stainless matte
Steel matte blued

Steel polished & blued

The steel versions are made of 4140 solid barstock, and the stainless are 416. Both materials are heat treated and tensioned for proper fit and function.

These parts will not require any final fitting.

Retail Prices are as follows:

In-the-white (steel or stainless) $27.95

Polished & Blued (steel only) $29.95

Matte Finish (steel or stainless) $28.95

We'll have all configurations available in stainless within the next two weeks or sooner! Steel models will most likely be a week or so after that.

If anyone would like to place an order for these parts, we'll set you up on a first come, first serve basis. Once initial start-up is accomplished in the next three weeks, we'll be able to offer same day shipping with Visa or MasterCard.

These extractors will work with all action lengths currently available from MRC and Winchester.

As with all of our products, if you are not 100% satisfied, we'll exchange your part, or refund your money period.

For orders, call our toll-free number at
1-888-257-3006 8:30-4:30 Pacific Standard Time

Or email us at sales@williamsfirearms.com

Dealers and Gunsmiths, please call for special pricing.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does 4140 differ from 4142?

Chuck

[ 11-14-2003, 06:33: Message edited by: Chuck Nelson ]

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
How does 4140 differ from 4142?

Chuck

In all honesty, you'd be unable to tell the diffence on any level. Most steel mills couldn't hold the tolerances close enough from one to the other to make the difference in the carbon content of two points. Many distributers will group them in a "one-and-the-same" category.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
triggerguard1 and Chuck Nelson,

I believe the difference is that the 4142 is a "prehardend" 4140 and nothing else.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smallfry:
triggerguard1 and Chuck Nelson,

I believe the difference is that the 4142 is a "prehardend" 4140 and nothing else.

It's not the hardening, it's the carbon content. 4142 has more of it, but only enough for the nerds to know the difference [Big Grin]

Heat treat procedures and machining are identical, as well as spring and wear characteristics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected Matt!
The carbon range on 4140 is .38-.43 points whereas the 4142 is .40-.45. I ignorantly mentioned prehardend because 4142 is sold as prehardend stock more oftan than 4140 is... at leats thats what I have noticed. However 4140 is by far more common.

By the way... did you ever get a new Mazak yet?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smallfry:

By the way... did you ever get a new Mazak yet?

Working on it [Big Grin]

That will be my bolt body and handle making machine [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
I was under the impression that the extractor on the MRC 1999 was slightly different to the M70. Are you saying they are interchangeable, or will you be making different runs for the two actions?
Thanks,
Stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The nose is different. An M70 extractor will NOT fit on a M1999 because there is no slot cut in the barrel for the extended M70 nose. Of course, one could grind the nose off.

Another question might be: are both magnum and standard claw profiles preshaped, or is this a universal shape requiring fitting.

The M1999 extractor is also .210 overlength so that it stays in the rear bridge when the bolt is at battery. This is aesthetics only.

BTW, the same extractor is used in both long and short actions, so if you can get this one to work on the longs, the shorts are ready for it too.

[ 11-14-2003, 10:14: Message edited by: Rod@Acrabond ]

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
As a first time owner of a Model 70 I'm curious about this. Do the extractors fail frequently enough to make this upgrade a true requirement? If so, can a regular Joe make the swap? I'm not mechanically inept, but I'm certainly no gunsmith.

Bottom line, is this updgrade really value-added. I'll be using my M70 for my first safari next summer, so I want it operating at its best (at least within my very modest budget).

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
value-added
Most definately.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
If so, can a regular Joe make the swap?

Bottom line, is this updgrade really value-added.

The M70 extractor is a "snap" to remove. I only saw it done once by a gunsmith so don't want to mislead anybody with the incorrect instructions, but it literally takes about 5 seconds to remove one and not much longer than that to replace it. So don't let a gunsmith charge you $40 to do the job.

On the value added - the factory M70 extractor is made by a process called MIM - metal injection something, I think. Anyway, it is NOT spring steel and if you bend it, it remains bent. A proper extractor will spring back.

These prices are great. I don't wish to pee in anybody's cornflakes but the only other company that I know of offering replacement hardened spring steel extractors charges about $50 apiece.

[ 11-14-2003, 17:54: Message edited by: Jim in Idaho ]

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
Matt,
I was under the impression that the extractor on the MRC 1999 was slightly different to the M70. Are you saying they are interchangeable, or will you be making different runs for the two actions?
Thanks,
Stu

A very slight program change makes the difference, but it is very slight.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rod@Acrabond:

Another question might be: are both magnum and standard claw profiles preshaped, or is this a universal shape requiring fitting.

The M1999 extractor is also .210 overlength so that it stays in the rear bridge when the bolt is at battery. This is aesthetics only.

BTW, the same extractor is used in both long and short actions, so if you can get this one to work on the longs, the shorts are ready for it too.

There is no fitting required. Standard and Magnum profiles are CNC machined in at the time of manufacture. 95% of the extractor is machined in a single setup ensuring dimensional accuracy as well as qualification of all important dimensions. There are extra radiuses that have been added in the nose to further prevent breakage as well.

We've extended the length of the extractor to match MRC's length, so these will be the same length for all action lengths for Winchester and MRC. Even Winchesters that have had the ejection port opened up for the big boys will still look the way they should.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Is Williams going to make a magnum mauser action as previously indicated?

Thanks.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
As a first time owner of a Model 70 I'm curious about this. Do the extractors fail frequently enough to make this upgrade a true requirement? If so, can a regular Joe make the swap? I'm not mechanically inept, but I'm certainly no gunsmith.

Bottom line, is this updgrade really value-added. I'll be using my M70 for my first safari next summer, so I want it operating at its best (at least within my very modest budget).

There are 3 major factors why the MIM'd extractors fail.

1) They are casted and have inherent flaws within the part where it counts, namely the nose. When you drop a cartridge into the chamber and close the bolt over it, you are inducing an extreme amount of pressure onto the extractor. If the extractor has any porosity or stress cracks anywhere within it, that's when it will break.

2) Heat treating if not done properly can cause breakage and lack of spring flex as well, but this of course can occur with any extractor, even one that was machined correctly. Our heat treater is ISO 9002 certified, and we've thoroughly inspected there facility on numerous occasions. They are most definitely first rate.

3) Tensioning the extractor properly will ensure that the correct amount of spring tension is being used on the cartridge. Too much tension will cause the shell not to get under the extractor properly for true "controlled-round feeding", and not enough tension will let the cartridge fall out from under the extractor while feeding.

All of these problems we have eliminated with innovative fixturing and quality CNC machinery.

This is why we unconditionally back our extractor with a lifetime moneyback guarantee if it ever breaks in the field.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Matt,

Is Williams going to make a magnum mauser action as previously indicated?

Thanks.

Not a Mauser per say, but we will be manufacturing a Magnum action in the near future. This extractor was just one of the biggest hurdles for us to overcome on finishing our action project.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Okay, okay, sign me up.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote