New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Small" .250 Savage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have always wanted a .250-3000 and am considering moving forward with my desire. Within reasonableness (is that a word?) I would like to build it on the smallest action I could. What might that action be?

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
When I was a lad, there was a man and his son who each had a .250. The man's was a commercial Mauser short action, I don't know which model. The son's was a 1920 Savage. I can't remember ever seeing smaller, lighter rifles. There are some I just can't remember them.

<jac>
posted
The Sako medium action would be high on my list. If you want a Mauser, see if you can fins a small ring 98 action, like a Mexican. Either one would make a very nice custom rifle, although others might be lighter.

<Bearhunter>
posted
Ed, Cascade Arms in Oregon produce outstanding small actions. Their smallest action utilizes the Hornet class cartridges, their medium action for the .223 class and their largest for the .250 Savage class. All of the actions have mauser type external claw extractors. I believe they use the old Kimber M84 type action.

They produce nothing but high quality guns that I'm sure you will appreciate. I have one in .17 Rem. and it is truly a tack driver.

Contact them direct or call "The Outdoorsman,Inc. in Kingsley, PA @ (570)222-3390, but be prepared for a long waite. Sometimes The Outdoorsman have some in stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The action your referring to is the Mauser K action...If you can find one, it will cost you an arm and a leg....I'd go with a Mexican Mauser 98 myself ( not a 95 ) as they are about right and you can seat your bullets out for a more efficient round....I agree a finer caliber never existed..I still shoot one a lot for deer and I have shot a number of elk with one in my earlier years..

A Sako L-57 or L-579 would make a nice 250, as would a Mauser G-33-40 small ring..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had my 250 built on a Rem Mod 7 action with a 21" Shillen barrel. It's an accurate little rifle that is a joy to carry and shoot. Whatever action you choose - by all means build yourself one!

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Rust>
posted
My father, who complained when he turned 70 that running the hills was tiresome carrying a heavy rifle built a super lightweight off of a model 7 action in 250 Savage Ackley Improved. Brown Precision carbon fiber stock at 15 oz., lightened action, a Lilja benchrest grade barrel in a very lightweight profile, aluminum Weaver mounts and old style Weaver rings, a Leupold Vari-X III (it's lighter), and the stock is not painted because "It would add weight" . It weighs under six pounds and with handloads is nearly very, very, very accurate.

I have a 22-250 based on an obscure Sako action that is about as small as feasible for a 22-250. One of the similar sized newer actions would do just as well for a .250.