New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help w/ ghost sights Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need input to decide which ghost-ring sight to use on a Ruger77 project. I searched the archives as much as I can stand(1,000 plus posts) but still need some help.

This is a factory new Ruger 338WM stainless(no sights) I picked up to convert to a Taylor or 458WM. I want to use a patridge blade front post(probably a NECG) w/ a receiver mounted ghost ring. If I would never mount a scope, I would lean towards a gunsmithed sight like John Rick's made for JJ Hack. But, I decided that I wanted the scope option so that is ruled out.

I like the idea of a ghost ring that stays on the rifle when scope is mounted, but I can't figure out how to do that w/ the Ruger. Not sure I like the idea of milling off the Ruger integral bases to install Brockman bases(pop up sights).

The only two options I see are mounting either the NECG clamp on peep or the XS screw on(drilled & tapped) peep. It appears that the NECG clamps on the Ruger rib just like a ringmount. Would I need a screwdriver to remove and install this sight in the field? It appears the NECG would block more field of view than the XS, is this correct? I have other versions of the xs sight and like that they are trim and block little field of view. Is this XS model for the Ruger easy to put on and take off in the field(screwdriver?)? Are they repeatable?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No takers? Has anyone ever used either the NECG peep or the XS peep on a bolt rifle? My concerns are the NECG will block too much field of view compared to the XS, and the XS will be too much of a pain to remove and replace. Was hoping to get some feedback from anyone experienced w/ these sights.

Thanks,
Gary

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary,
I have the necg on a .416 Rigby rsm. With the larger peep (2 come with the sight) and shooting with both eyes open there is no problem with blocked field of view. I haven´t used the xs. You can make very quick snap shots up close and also hit with adequate precision for hunting animals the size of red deer or asian buff out to 250 meters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks John,

Can the NECG model be taken-off and put-on w/out a screwdriver when in the field?

Reference the field of view, what I like about the XS sights on my leverguns is they block almost nothing from your field of view. The base of the sight protrudes no further than the barrel into your field of view. The ghost ring itself has the appearance of floating above the barrel and easily ghosts out leaving only your front sight in view. I've never used the NECG but it appears it would be more like a traditional peep blocking out more field of view never ghosting out.

Thanks,
Gary

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
On and off with a coin or back of a knife blade or screw driver but not by hand alone. You do get a slight change in impact depending on how tight .
It does not ghost out as much as you would probably be looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, I'm using the NECG on a couple of my larger bore rifles and they do the job. A quarter is what I use to cinch down and remove them.

I went to them as I'm getting older and can't see a "normal" barrel mounted rear sight very well these days. But the peep works really good for me and it's fast to aquire the target. Which is a plus on a DGR Big Grin

One thing to note, you can't just get rid on the screw in aperture if you need a real large opening as it's what locks the elevation adjustment in place.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
510, Make sure I'm reading your post correctly. Are you saying that you cannot use the NECG sight w/ the screw in peep removed because it holds the elevation adjustment? If this is correct, is there any room to drill the peep out any larger and have it still work?

I've always liked the larger sized .230" XS peep over smaller ones.

Thanks,
Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Scout rifle is the easiest way to get a peep and a scope on a rifle at the same time. XS makes a rear base for the M-700 Remington with a peep built into it, but you need medium rings because the aperture is so tall. I had a CZ 550 drilled and tapped to use one. It worked but it had the problem with ring height. Short of that, try the folding peep Redfield had on some of their mounts. I had them on a couple of Weaver bases, which I then used normally. None of this will work on your Ruger, and the XS Ruger sight requires drilling and tapping -- it's pretty much a permanent thing.

But there is another problem: no stock can be right for both sets of sights. When you practice, you build muscle memory to line up the sights for scope or irons, but not both. If you train for the scope, you'll tend to shoot over the irons. If you train for the irons, you have to raise your head to sight through the scope. That's a problem when it's time for fast shooting.

I speak from experience on this: the finest blacktail buck I have ever seen is alive today due to a mid-hunt sight-system change. I got an embarrassing 25m miss in front of a witness who will never let me or anyone else forget it. After that, I realized that I shoot scoped bolt-actions better than anything else, and I'm sticking to them.

And, yeah, the NEGC needs the aperture to keep the elevation slide in place. No answer there.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryVA:
510, Make sure I'm reading your post correctly. Are you saying that you cannot use the NECG sight w/ the screw in peep removed because it holds the elevation adjustment? If this is correct, is there any room to drill the peep out any larger and have it still work?

I've always liked the larger sized .230" XS peep over smaller ones.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary,

Yup, if your going to keep the NECG peep stock about the largest aperture you can use is .125 as that's the size of the "channel" your looking through in the mount. You could probably do your load workup with a smaller sight hole and then drill out a larger aperture hole all the way through. This would pretty much lock the elevation in place (assuming the the drilled holes are the right sizes). By doing this I think you could get about a .180 size sight hole.

I mentioned the kinda weird locking arrangment as I know a lot of guys take out the aperture and pitch it.

Sounds like the NECG might not be for you, but then that's why you asked about it on here, right?

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote