Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rebore from 8mm to 9.3?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
Sidewalls would be about 0.1395". That would probably suffice for a cartridge like a 9.3X62. I wouldn't want to go below 0.125" for any cartridge.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Rob, the usual reboring job in such a case (ahem) was the 9x57 Mauser. A good cartridge for which Winchester (Mod. 54) and Remington also did chamber rifles.

9,3x62 would be problematic, IMHO.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been given a fairly nice sporterized M98 that was brought back from Germany after WWII.

Stippled front ring and barrel shank, modest engraving, butterknife bolt handle, double set triggers, floorplate release, full rib on the barrel with one standing and one folding leaf site.

It's currently an 8x57 but the bore doesn't look at all good, the rifling is almost gone.

Because of all the extras on the barrel I want to have it rebored rather than rebarreled. The muzzle OD is 0.645. Is there enough here to go to a 9.3x62?

From looking at drawings of the two cartridges it looks to me as though this should not require the barrel to be set back, that the reamer will just enlarge the existing chamber, am I right?

Should it feed properly or will it need more work?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote