New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing light rust on Stainless Steel Sako
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been looking at a couple of stainless M75 Sako's whose surfaces have a very, very slight brownish tinge (rust I assume). How does one easily remove this discoloration and more importantly will it return with proper cleaning?

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about an all over discoloration or pitting ? Pitting is rust but discoloration may be contamination from lubricants etc, which might be removed with solvent or other cleaner.Are these new guns ?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Anything abrasive from a terry cloth towel to a bead blaster and everything in between. Like 0000 steel wool, wire brush, scotch brite pad, emory cloth... Really depends on the original finish.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
whatever you do DO NOT use anything steel on it. wire brush or steel wool will impart small particles of steel into the stainless and then they will rust. 1st try some WD40 and a rag, and if that doesn't work go to a really fine scotchbrite. the scotchbrite will leave marks. if you can fine some stainless steel wool fur, thats great, but hard to find

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello from Western MA as well Smiler. Rust or powder fouling residue, or lead can be easily removed with a "Lead Remover" Cloth, such as Hoppe's and other cleaning companies offer. Stop at any local gun shop and they'll know what you're talking about. Dick's carries them as well.

"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Posts: 13 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Stainless usually rusts in pits, not an even discoloration like mete said. Before getting aggressive with abrasives, try some acetone or other solvent. If that doesn't change the color, try some rust remover from the local paint store on a small hidden area. Last resort for me would be some 2000 grit wet-or-dry from the local auto paint supply store.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
whatever you do DO NOT use anything steel on it. wire brush or steel wool will impart small particles of steel into the stainless and then they will rust.

You're supposed to wash the crap off afterwards. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
doesn't wash off the steel gets really embeded into the stainless, especially if you use anything power on it. We've even had pollifan wheels that were used on steel then stainless embed the steel into the stainless. makes a real pain latter. and while i think of it, another note on stainless, clorine (i.e. bleach) will pit it badly.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other note - the same thing happens on aluminum only worse