New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Classic in 243
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have one of these and care to comment on reliability and accuracy. Are they truly free floated or pressure point?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894, since you did not get a bunch of hits on this one, I'll supply some feedback - maybe that will goad one of our resident Sako experts into chiming in as well (Stonecreek, Dr. Lou, all you other Sako aficionados... )

When I bought my Sako AIII in .30-06 quite a few years back, it was not free floated, so I did it myself. Mine was the "Hunter" model, and I was told I'd have to go to the "Luxury" model to get the floated barrel. Not that it mattered a lot, the barrel contorurs were the same, so it was a breeze to float. Don't know how my experience relates to other (later or older) Sako models??

Now when that is said, let me also say that
1) I'm not sure which model you are referring to as a "Sako Classic"?? It does not seem to be a model designation used for any of the current Sako 75 models.
2) Are you by any chance referring to the McMillan "Sako Classic" stock on this page: http://www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/sako.html ??

In general, Sakos shoot well right out of the box, but I guess you know this already.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako made a classic stocked rifle about 20+ years ago and it was actually quite nice. I had one in .270, wish I still had it. It shot wonderfully well and was very pleasing to the eye. I don't remember whether the barrel channel was floated or not. Very nice factory rifle, perhaps one of the best.
Pat

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako Classic grade,

No introduction date, but were released with the AII and AIII actions, so around 1980 I'd guess. Discontinued in 1985.

Reintroducted 1992-97 in the 591 and 691 series actions.

All feature Frech walnut stocks, no monte carlo.

Calibers 243 270 30-06 and 7mm rem mag.

I owned a 243 AII, and it was not free floated. It was 100% reliable and very accurate.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sako "Classic" that I'm familiar with was built during the A-series era. It featured a non-Monte Carlo stock with an oil finish and lower-luster blueing. I've never owned one or seen one disassembled, but the similar contemporary Sako sporters typically were not free-floating, so I assume that the Classic was made this way also.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies. Stonecreek, have you free floated your numerous collection or have they shot and held zero well enough?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote