New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger no1 new stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a no1 in .300 win mag which I really like. However it is prone to off days. Some days it is a tack driver and some days it simply will not group, I am going to try and float the barrel but was wondering if a synthetic stock would solve the problem?

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you float the barrel, the need to put a set screw between the forend hangar and the barrel first, then glass it and float it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Another thing to check is whether the forend wood is touching the receiver. In my experience, the No. 1s shoot better if there is a couple thousanths clearance so that the forend wood is not in contact with the receiver.

I had a No. 1S .338 that went from a 2-inch gun to a 3/4-inch gun just by eliminating the contact between the forend and the receiver. You do not need much gap, just as long as they do not touch.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Another thing to check is whether the forend wood is touching the receiver. In my experience, the No. 1s shoot better if there is a couple thousanths clearance so that the forend wood is not in contact with the receiver.

I had a No. 1S .338 that went from a 2-inch gun to a 3/4-inch gun just by eliminating the contact between the forend and the receiver. You do not need much gap, just as long as they do not touch.

Good one. Another thing to check is the base for the scope. If the back end touched the receiver, that too can cause accuracy problems.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote